• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goose v. Pike (1 Viewer)

Celast

In the lake near me, they stopped people fishing so some lout stuck a large pike in there, the rangers and others were trying everything to catch this critter with no success one day a lady neighbour of ours heard this terrible racket going on with a goose as she approached the lake , when she got there this goose had thrown this pike on to the bank,, it must have attacked the goose.
I have a photo showing this 2ft pike laying on the bank.

It would certainly be a sight to see a goose chucking a 2 foot pike onto the bank.

I'm wondering if the goose was not actually attacked by the pike but saw the pike as an eventual threat to the chicks who should come along in a few more months. Pike are a great threat to young chicks. The goose may be making the area safe for the kids.

There, that's my wild guess.

Last edited:
A 2ft pike is a fairly small one ( I have caught them almost twice that size ) and only likely to be a threat to very small goslings. I have lived in an area where the lakes and rivers for 40 years and never seen any interaction between adult geese and pike Its rare for them to show intrest is goslings though I often see pike taking ducklings and young moorhens\coots. I very much doubt it a goose would through a pike onto the bank. Its more likely that a fisherman had left it there alive and the flapping fish might well upset the geese. pike can live quite a long time out of water in cool wet weather. When I was a kid I took a 3 ft specimen into school wraped in a wet rag. It survived the 1\2 hour journey and thrived in a large fish tank for some time before being returned. I strongly suspect you should look for human cause for this.

Its also possible the pike was a natural inhabitant of the lake. There can be few lakes in the UK that do not have pike in them. They are expert in colonising new waters during flooding and their stikky eggs have been carried to new lakes on the legs of waterfowl

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back