• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maytime Flower, Scotland (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Could someone help me with identifying this pretty flower please.

Picture taken mid May in east-central Scotland.

Attachments

• BF flower for ID S0161038.jpg
    BF flower for ID S0161038.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 40
Gosh! That's a new one on me - thanks so much Aeshna.

Various parts of the plant are edible and the Garlicky taste can be subtle - i have used the leaves in both salads and on an omelette but best when fresh i.e. before or when first flowering. I dug up some roots a while back. Because the species is biennial a small taproot and basal leaves form the first year followed by an increase in size in the second year of flowering and seeding - at this stage the root(s) can be carefully lifted, washed and left to dry. I have only done it once, the taste is spicy like a mild Horseradish but it might be best to buy a jar of Horseradish;)

If you want the real deal then find wild Horseradish and follow the same procedure and you should get roots with a real ‘wang’ that you can preserve.....without adding cream which is for girlies;)

Laurie:t:

Thanks Laurie.... I guessed it would be edible.

I love horse radish, but not really the vinegary stuff in the jars, I prefer to make my own. Fortunately I've now found a supplier in Perth, as I don't have facilities for growing such plants in this flat.

Garlic Mustard- popular larval food plant for Orange-tip ...
Interesting point there that many books emphasize Cuckooflower (a decidedly scarce plant) as the go-to larval food plant for Orange-tip, often without even mentioning the vastly more abundant Garlic Mustard. Given the relative abundance of the two, most Orange-tips must have been raised on Garlic Mustard.

I wouldn’t attempt growing it either Delia as the tap-root can be a couple of feet long - fortunately it grows in local damp shady grassland and the huge leaves are obvious so i dig one up from time to time:t:

Laurie -

I wouldn’t attempt growing it either Delia as the tap-root can be a couple of feet long - fortunately it grows in local damp shady grassland and the huge leaves are obvious so i dig one up from time to time:t:

Laurie -

Blimey you must have mutant ones up there. I've got it in my garden but have never had one with a root like that or what I would describe as huge leaves. It does self-seed readily and I weed many out, Though I think the flower is quite pretty I mainly grow it for the butterflies.

To clarify i am referring to wild Horseradish - the ones locally grow on deep, moist, shady soil. I have found the leaves to be a good guide to the length of the tap root. Currently they are 12-18” - i am passing them shortly and will take a pic with something for scale:t:

Laurie -

To clarify i am referring to wild Horseradish - the ones locally grow on deep, moist, shady soil. I have found the leaves to be a good guide to the length of the tap root. Currently they are 12-18” - i am passing them shortly and will take a pic with something for scale:t:

Laurie -

Sorry- I misunderstood. Thought we were discussing Garlic Mustard still. I see Horseradish growing in patches around London.

Years ago, when I had a garden, I purchased a Horseradish plant and put it in an out of the way corner.

The following year I must have pulled it up thinking it was a dock (a real problem there!) A few months later I went looking for the horseradish and wondered where it had gone!

Years ago, when I had a garden, I purchased a Horseradish plant and put it in an out of the way corner.

The following year I must have pulled it up thinking it was a dock (a real problem there!) A few months later I went looking for the horseradish and wondered where it had gone!

Though unrelated (Horseradish is a crucifer with white flowers) the leaves are superficially like Broad-leaved Dock, so can understand how you did it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back