• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

question marks or commas? (1 Viewer)

Al Kat

Can anyone tell me by these picture if I have Question Marks or Commas
or both
The pictures were taken Oct 5 2006 in Soutern Ontario (Rondeau Park)

1 ???
2 ??
3 A freind though he saw this was a question mark when wings closed

Thanks for any help

Al Kat

Attachments

• Butterfly IMG_8706 copy.jpg
    Butterfly IMG_8706 copy.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Question Mark IMG_8650 copy.jpg
    Question Mark IMG_8650 copy.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 90
  • Question Mark IMG_8710 copy.jpg
    Question Mark IMG_8710 copy.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 100
Al Kat said:
Can anyone tell me by these picture if I have Question Marks or Commas
or both
The pictures were taken Oct 5 2006 in Soutern Ontario (Rondeau Park)

1 ???
2 ??
3 A freind though he saw this was a question mark when wings closed

Thanks for any help

Al Kat

Hello Al,

These all look like Comma's to me, I've never heard of a butterfly called The Question Mark. However, that's not to say there isn't a butterfly with that name in North America. I'm not very familiar with US/Canadian species.

The Comma derived its common name from the 'C' shaped mark on the underside of the wing. Given the size of the North American Continent it's possible there are several sub-species of Comma's, some of which may have been given different names.

Harry

1) is an Eastern Comma (Polygonia comma)
2) and 3) are Question Marks (Polygonia interrogationis)
The most important difference is the spot near its wing tip: single in the commas, double in the Question Mark.

Attachments

• Question Mark IMG_8650 copy.jpg
    Question Mark IMG_8650 copy.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 88
Xenospiza said:
1) is an Eastern Comma (Polygonia comma)
2) and 3) are Question Marks (Polygonia interrogationis)
The most important difference is the spot near its wing tip: single in the commas, double in the Question Mark.

Thank you for your help I was hoping for a method to tell the butterflies apart when the wings were open, they did not want to close those wings so I could see the difference.I am very new to butterfly identification and it was nice to see both species I looked at number 3 butterfly and it seems too only have the one spot at the wing tip so that would be a Comma then?? Maybe I do not have things straight yet Thanks again

Last edited:
Al Kat said:
Thank you for your help I was hoping for a method to tell the butterflies apart when the wings were open, they did not want to close those wings so I could see the difference.I am very new to butterfly identification and it was nice to see both species I looked at number 3 butterfly and it seems too only have the one spot at the wing tip so that would be a Comma then?? Maybe I do not have things straight yet Thanks again
Yes you're right... I cannot count to two obviously!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back