• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

field guide? (1 Viewer)

mms

Will be going to puerto rico in January and am looking for a field guide. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Hello:

I almost totally missed this one. First, welcome to Birdforum! (Despite appearances to the contrary) you will find a wealth of helpful information here. And people. Usually. [*ahem*]

I, too, have been researching Puerto Rico. As far as I can tell, the book Birds of the West Indies by H. Rafaele et al. (Princeton Field Guides, 2003) is the best choice. Some discussion already exists on BF: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=30188&highlight=west+indies
As you can see, it is already a little out-of-date, but I do not know of any truly newer book (some reprints, but not a genuinely new book).

There is also a stand-alone Guide to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, by the same primary author, which I know nothing about. However, if you plan to go back to any other Caribbean island ever, I suspect that the more comprehensive book is probably the best value.

One thing I don't know about either, is how well they cover wintering N.A. birds - I know my old Peterson Guide (the James Bond) didn't illustrate these at all. You may want to take a regular N.A. guide as well.

Peter

mms, welcome to birdforum!

I also missed your post, I was traveling when you asked the question, sorry.

The book I recommend is this softcover version, I do not know of any difference between the prints: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...&field-keywords=raffaele birds of west indies

It contains all the likely northern migrants. If you go to Cabo Rojo or other places with shorebirds, then you might want to bring a US field guide as well, but if your target is forest birds then you will hardly need that.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back