• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info required for Watamu Beach Hotel (Kenya) (1 Viewer)

Did you happen to meet any of the others with Spinetails Safaris?

I'm in the initial stages of planning a trip, and I'm curious in case David Ngala isn't available/has retired.

Welcome to BF, Darrell.

I had two days with Willy from Spinetail last November which didn't go too well. I met David Ngala when we were about to leave and he offered to take us back to the forest for free but my other half was suffering a bit and I'd had enough.

I'm sure Willy is very competent though there was conflict from the start between him and the driver I had hired to take me to Watamu from Kilifi. We were left for long spells while Willy went off looking for birds and the one time I misunderstood him and followed down a track he told me off!

If you want to visit Arabuko-Sokoke Forest I would recommend Spinetail but try to get David if you can.

Where else are you planning to go?

Hi Darrell,

We had two days with Albert last November and he was excellent.

He hired a driver for our day trip to Tsavo East - we thought the cost was very good and considerably less than that being quoted by the hotels etc. (we stayed in Malindi). I can remember that it cost us less than £130 per couple for the whole day.

For our day in the A/S forest and surrounding areas (Sabaki, Mida Creek etc) he hired a car and drove himself (if a little slowly). I cannot remember the cost, but i know we were highly delighted and considered it money very well spent.

A quick review of my notebook shows 127 species on the local daytrip, pm me if you want more details, and that the Tsavo East trip produced 130 (35 of which were new for the holiday and came at the end of an excellent fortnight that produced over 380 species) plus lots of excellent animals as well.

As i said Albert was a superb guide, but not quite as good on his identification on some trickier species when out of his own habitat (A/S forest) where he was incredible. He called in Scaly-throated Honeyguide from a quarter mile away - amazing!

Ian

You should find a google map for the area, I haven't checked if there's any available yet but I am sure there are. I have pretty much the same question but for Hawaii. We found some attractive offers for hotels on the beach in Hawaii but we didn't make our choice yet, any recommendations for places close to bird interest spots?

You should find a google map for the area, I haven't checked if there's any available yet but I am sure there are. I have pretty much the same question but for Hawaii. We found some attractive offers for hotels on the beach in Hawaii but we didn't make our choice yet, any recommendations for places close to bird interest spots?

I don't think you'll get much joy asking about Hawaii on the Kenya section Denny.
This original post about the Watamu Beach hotel was posted in 2006, the hotel has since burnt down I believe.
cheers Dave

just been there as part of an overland trip from Nairobi thru the Tana Delta to Lamu . Yes Watamu Beach hotel is not far from Turtle Bay. Plenty of places to bird , ie Aruboka-Sokoke Forest, Mida Creek , Sabaki river mouth and Whale island which is controlled by Kenya Wildlife service . We saw several Brown Noddies there , but at dusk some 2000 come back from the sea ! If you need a guide try Spine tail safaris who are very good

I will be doing a full report of our exciting birding safari soon

Mike D in nairobi

just been there as part of an overland trip from Nairobi thru the Tana Delta to Lamu . Yes Watamu Beach hotel is not far from Turtle Bay. Plenty of places to bird , ie Aruboka-Sokoke Forest, Mida Creek , Sabaki river mouth and Whale island which is controlled by Kenya Wildlife service . We saw several Brown Noddies there , but at dusk some 2000 come back from the sea ! If you need a guide try Spine tail safaris who are very good

I will be doing a full report of our exciting birding safari soon

Mike D in nairobi

looking forward to reading it Mike !

looking forward to reading it Mike !

just realised I waas replying to an old thread ! growing old myself .

However I have posted the skeleton of our trip through Tsavo and Tana Delata to Lamu and Manda . Its on Birds and Birding . enjoy and I hope you enjoyed your trip here .

Mike D

just realised I waas replying to an old thread ! growing old myself .

However I have posted the skeleton of our trip through Tsavo and Tana Delata to Lamu and Manda . Its on Birds and Birding . enjoy and I hope you enjoyed your trip here .

Mike D

Do you have a link Mike ? I can't find it !

Do you have a link Mike ? I can't find it !

Its in the 3rd section of the forum , headed Birding , and the thread is birs and birding .
Steve Lister has just replied to it .
If you let me have your email address , I will send a much fuller report for friends

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back