• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon S90 and Nikon ED82A (1 Viewer)

Tord

Hi all,

From what I read it appears that the Canon S90 is a solid performer from image quality point of view, and is also a good choice for digiscoping, generally speaking.

Can anyone confirm this?

Next on this subject: will the S90 perform well when used together with the Nikon ED82A with the wide angle eyepiece 16x/24x/30x?

TIA
Tord

Don't know why you haven't gotten an answer yet. I tried an s90 just after they came out and was pleased with the results but didn't buy it. When the s95 came out and my older sony w300 made some ailing gestures I bought the s95. Same camera with a slightly faster continuous shooting rate and better video. You may want to check out the s95 threads for ideas. The more I use the s95 the more I like it. I've used mine on a kowa 883 with wonderful results. Also used it on a non ED kowa 821 with surprisingly good results. EP on both was a tsn 21x we.

I can't help you with the adapter since I make my own but the latter mentioned threads seem to cover that issue. Since I havn't read it anyplace I should mention my testing on the camera indicates excellent camera to EP distance for digiscoping with very little difference between camera WA and full telephoto.

Thanks Josef. I guess your answer is valid for both S90 and S95.

Regarding the adapter: I have a versatile one <pictured here> that fits virtually any camera/eyepiece combination, so that should not be an issue.

Looks good to me Tord, set the canon at full tele with lens back about 1mm from eyepiece or3-4mm at WA and give it a try. I can't remember all the canon settings but I use Aperture mode, below 400 iso, macro on, typically -1/3 EV, fine quality(somewhat difficult to set), and use your timer.

when I started I took RAW plus jpg, now I just use RAW. Canons DPP program that comes with the camera is all you need. Post some results, we would all love to see them.

Josef, I guess the settings for the S90 above read straight across to the S95 although using just RAW you don't get the Fine option as you already have all the sensor has to offer?

Thanks

Looks good to me Tord, set the canon at full tele with lens back about 1mm from eyepiece or3-4mm at WA and give it a try. I can't remember all the canon settings but I use Aperture mode, below 400 iso, macro on, typically -1/3 EV, fine quality(somewhat difficult to set), and use your timer.

when I started I took RAW plus jpg, now I just use RAW. Canons DPP program that comes with the camera is all you need. Post some results, we would all love to see them.
Josef,

Since S95-prices seem to drop quite fast, I might actually go for that one instead. Thanks for the advise on settings.

Meanwhile, feel free to have a look at some pictures I took with another camera of mine and if you believe S95 will provide significantly higher quality. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=191290

Tord,
I checked out your pics the other day and thought they were exceptional for a beginner.
It is also very difficult for me to say it would make a huge difference since preferences even between digiscopers is so great. Presently, for the first time, I have 2 cameras with their respective adapters ready to go and a scope in repair status. I think both of my cameras are good but still wish one had something the other one has and vice versus. One has more MP and an amazing AF, the other (s95) RAW, more luminance, I wish faster but then more modes and better color. When I was building the canon's adapter I worked with the camera a lot and trying the camera/adapter in the field I was very satisfied. Some of the results on this site keep telling me I made the right choice.

For settings check out Steve Cliftons s-95 thread under Andy Brights digiscoping cameras.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back