• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The different Mr. Bennett's in various Bennett's Birds (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
There seem to be (at least) 3 different Bennett commemorated in various Bird, here in chronological order :

1: Bennett's Woodpecker Campethera bennettii A. SMITH 1836 = the English zoologist and Secretary of the Zoological Society of London: Edward Turner Bennett (1797–1836).

2: Dwarf Cassowary (a k a "Bennett's Cassowary" ) Casuarius bennetti GOULD 1857 and Barred Owlet-nightjar (a k a "Bennett’s Owlet-nightjar") Aegotheles bennettii SALVADORI & D’ALBERTIS 1875 = the British (English/Australian) Physician (Surgeon), zoologist and botanist: George Bennett (1804–1893).

3: Little Crow (a k a "Bennett's Crow") Corvus bennetti NORTH 1901 = the Australian collector: Kenric Harold Bennett (1835–1891).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1: I haven´t found any actual dedication or clear link to either Bennett on the Woodpecker in Smith's type description, but I assume it is the correct Bennett. Well-known British Ornithologist's are normally checked thoroughly. Noteworthy is that Andrew Smith himself wrote the following memorable lines 1836 in the same Expedition report as his presentation of the woodpecker:
"Every naturalist must have found the difficulty of discovering suitable names for species, and yet no one has endeavoured to devise a system of nomenclature, wich could be carried out to any extent without difficulty, and free from ambiguity."
Pity he wasn´t so particular himself.

2: Gould's description of the newly discovered Cassowary was published three different (!) times in six weeks (in The Athenaeum, in The Literary Gazette and in Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London) in 1857-1858! For Citation see Zoonomen: http://www.zoonomen.net/avtax/frame.html. In one of those Papers (the only one I´ve checked; Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London it is clear as Glass: the Name surely commemorates the above mentioned George Bennett. *For the Owlet-nightjar, see below.

3: The Crow I leave to someone else … there is no Mr. Bennett in its Swedish Name (but I think I, anyway, got his years right!?) and they (the Swedish Names) are the one I´ve been trying to learn some more about.

* The tricky one that require knowledge of Italian is the Aegotheles bennettii SALVADORI & D’ALBERTIS 1875. Its type description is found in: Salvadori, T. & L M. D'Albertis. 1875. Catalogo di una Collezione di Uccelli dell'Isola Yule e della vicina Costa Meridionale della Penisola Orientale della Nuova Guinea raccolti da L. M. d'Albertis. Annali del Museo Civico di Storia Naturale di Genova 7:797-839. (excerpt attached; Introduction and type description: pp. 797-804, 816-817)

Anyone knowing Italian feel like trying to find out if any Bennett is mentioned? Or any other fact whatsover linking this Papuan/Indonesian specie to Bennett – whomever he was?

Attachments

• Bennetti by Salvadori 1875.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 91
Thanks Theo

Regarding Barred Owlet-nightjar (a k a "Bennett’s Owlet-nightjar") Aegotheles bennettii ...
Anyone know of any link between Salvadori (or D'Albertis) to either Bennett?

D'Albertis once discovered a new insect (on a voyage to Yule Island in 1875) and called it Eupholus Bennettii "in memory of my friend, Dr. George Bennett, of Sydney."

Don't know if this helps.

Theo

Thank you Theo!

Great work finding that "bug"! If it helps? It sure does!

See: Gestro, R. & L. M. D'Alberti. 1876. Descrizione di una nuova specie di Eupholos. Annali del Museo Civico di Storia Naturale di Genova 8: 387-389. Link: http://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/7916147#page/391/mode/1up

I think the sentence "Dedichiamo questa specie al Dottor. G. Bennett di Sydney ..." says enough.

That links, in a satisfiable way, Dr. George Bennett (from Sydney) with both D'Alberti and the Island Yule – in the same space of time! Surely it must be the samme person commemorated in the Owlet-nightjar!?

That makes my main entry on Bennett complete!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back