• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 45x Eyepiece (1 Viewer)

AlanFrench

Has anyone used the new 45x eyepiece designed for the 65/80mm STS/ATS scopes? I have the 20-60 zoom, and the 30X, but I really find the zoom feels a bit "restrictive" and am thinking of replacing it with the 45x eyepiece.

I am using the 65mm ATS HD.

Thanks.

Alan

Alan, I also use both the 30X and the zoom (adapted with 2" barrels for use on an Astro-Physics Stowaway). I've thought about the 45X, but decided against it because the zoom actually has a reasonably wide apparent field of about 60 degrees at 45X and continues to get wider at higher powers reaching about 70 degrees at 60X. It hasn't made sense to me to trade the versatility of the zoom for only 10 degrees more apparent field at 45X. The 30X on the other hand is a useful addition since the apparent field of the zoom is only about 50 degrees at 30X. Henry

Last edited:
I would link to know if there are any other users of the 45X out there. I have the 30x and am thinking of buying the 45x instead of the zoom. Presumably the optical quality of a 45x fixed eyerpiece will be better than 45X on the zoom. It should be brighter. Also, the 45x has better eye-relief.

Any views on this?

A friend of mine was pretty set on getting the ATS 80 HD with the 45x Wide, but after we did a pretty thorough comparison between it and the zoom, he changed his mind and got the zoom. What Henry said about the field is valid, and with the zoom, if you need more field for finding your target or looking at flocks, you just zoom down. There is still some pretty obvious difference in what you can resolve at 60x with the zoom vs. 45x with the wideangle, and the difference in brightness, if there is one, is marginal. If you can affort two eyepieces, the zoom and the 30x wideangle are a very good combo.

All this said, the 45 is an excellent eyepiece. It maintains sharpness virtually to the edge and is very easy and natural to view with.

Kimmo

Hi Alan
I use a 20x & 45x combination, which I find works quite well with my ATS 65. Having said that I rarely use the 45x, because I find the brightness and clarity of the 20x fantastic. But i have had it out of the bag for the odd distant wader or duck, recently pulled in a 1st winter Garganey this way. As Kimmo says it is a very good eyepiece but can be difficult when there is hear haze around and i never use it for sea-watching. I also trialed the zoom but even at the lower mags I thought I was looking through a toilet roll, just personal choice really. I do however think the 20x wide angle is the best eyepiece ever, easy for picking up soaring raptors, incredible sharpness and also good for digi-scoping.

Alan, I have the same outfit as you. I've also wondered about the 45x. For me the field of the zoom at high power is fine. It's down at the low end that the field really seems narrow.

Thanks for all the feedback on the 45x eyepiece. Indeed it is at the lower powers where the zoom seems a bit claustrophobic. Still, the 45x eyepiece will provide a somewhat wider field than the zoom at the same power, so I am still undecided. I think I'll just have to use the scope more often and see how frequently I use the 60x magnification of the zoom. I have always been a "travel light" type person, and have a tendency not to carry the scope when I am wandering about. When I use a scope, it is usually from a fixed location.

Clear skies, Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back