• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Cornwall in August (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
Hi, hope this is the best venue for this, we're having a week just south of Falmouth in mid august, possibly not the best month for birds but I'd like to get some birding in.

Any good reserves or spots nearby (an hour or so's drive) particularly ones that might have species that don't turn up locally for me (south Wales)

Terns, partridges and buntings are particularly scarce near me but I'm looking to do some birding even if it doesn't lead to a lot of year ticks. I do have a scope and do have RBA for actual rares that might be around..

Also I might have a few days sailing (either from there or Plymouth) around the same time, probably not particularly far out from land, is there anything I'd expect to see during the summer.

Finally are there any recommended fairly short (we have a 3 year old) wildlife boat trips from that general area that might get a few seabirds?

Check the county website out -

http://www.cbwps.org.uk/cbwpsword/sightings/

Falmouth area a bit quieter in the summer - better chance of scarcities on the Lizard or further west; American shorebirds and scarcer pelagic species (big shearwaters etc)

Sites around Falmouth include College and Argal Reservoir, Stithians Reservoir, Devoran, the coast path west of Falmouth and the Carrick Roads etc. Boat trips around the Carrick Roads and into Falmouth Bay -

http://www.akwildlifecruises.co.uk/

Cirl Buntings on the Roseland Peninsula a short boat trip or car ride away. Terns possibly off Falmouth itself but tend to be Sandwich, partridges rare in Cornwall!

Thanks. Will definitely give that wildlife cruise a go, didn’t think it was the best time of year for birds but I’ll try and hit a few of those places and keep an eye on BirdGuides for something a bigger drive away

Thanks. Will definitely give that wildlife cruise a go, didn’t think it was the best time of year for birds but I’ll try and hit a few of those places and keep an eye on BirdGuides for something a bigger drive away

If you can get over to Penzance there are some great pelagic trips available. On an average day I saw a good range of Shearwaters as well as Wilson's petrel and a pod of dolphins for good measure. Porthgwarra and Pendeen if you've even more time.

Thanks. That might be doable and sounds great but the falmoith one sounds like something I could do with W family quite easily

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back