• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (1 Viewer)

Went to Stithians and Swanpool yesterday afternoon. Besides being very cold saw a nice amount of birds.
Stithians
Grey Heron, Cormorant, Wigeon, Teal, Curlew, Canada Geese and loads of Lapwings, Buzzard, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Starling, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Blackbird and LBJ below.
Swanpool
Mallards, Little Grebe, Cormorant, Mute Swan, Coot, Moorhen, Robin and a Bullfinch.
Plus various gulls at both.

The LBJ is a Reed Bunting ;)

Bringing back the true meaning of the phrase 'record shot' ;)

Both had been reported elsewhere within the Carrick Roads over the weekend, still was rather surprised to get them this morning ... at some point will try and post up a list of the 'birds of falmouth' seen this year. Must be 110+ by now?

Taken from next car park beyond Lidl's - obviously much closer views could have been had from the other side.

Attachments

• sarnie tern.jpg
    sarnie tern.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 48
  • brent.jpg
    brent.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 59
Couple of questions

1. Yesterday I took a photo of a flock of Lapwings that had just taken off from the mud flats at Ruan. I printed the photo off and counted them. Are they likely to be all Lapwings or might there be other birds in amongst them? Flock was 339 give or take a few.
2. Over the past week I have got a female Blackcap on my feeder. She is extremely agressive with the other birds. She sits on the feeder (rarely eats anything) and as soon as another bird appears she attacks it. The only one she hasn't had a go at is the Great Spotted Woodpecker. Is this normal behaviour?

1. Yesterday I took a photo of a flock of Lapwings that had just taken off from the mud flats at Ruan. I printed the photo off and counted them. Are they likely to be all Lapwings or might there be other birds in amongst them? Flock was 339 give or take a few.
2. Over the past week I have got a female Blackcap on my feeder. She is extremely agressive with the other birds. She sits on the feeder (rarely eats anything) and as soon as another bird appears she attacks it. The only one she hasn't had a go at is the Great Spotted Woodpecker. Is this normal behaviour?

Thats a good sized flock. Probably all are Lapwings although Golden Plover do often associate with flocks of Lapwings. Blackcaps can be extremely aggressive especially where food is concerned but I would be very surprised if one took on the beak of a GS Woodpecker!

Paul

Cornwall Birding - Daily Sightings

What are these?

Thanks Paul for answering my questions.
Can anyone tell me what these two small ducks are? Seen above Sett Bridge at Ruan Lanihorne. Photos are really bad as they were quicker than me. Waited over an hour to see if they reappeared but to no avail.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 59
Hey Dan, Ive had a query about the best place at College Res to see Bittern. Any advice?

regards,

Paul

Sorry for the late reply (been travelling to France, here now) ... I guess you could direct them to this thread, which probably has most of the info ...

As mentioned a couple pages back, College is officially closed, although locals still frequent it, and I've spoken to the BTCV workers a couple of times whilst leaving the site (the gates been open sometimes, sometimes not) and they've been fine.

Bittern(s) at the southern end - this year think I've seen one at the start of the reservoir, once on the island, twice on the eastern side next to the 'viewing area', and at least 3 times on the opposite shore just past the island as viewed from this viewing area. But I think that of the visits reported on local news services, and including mine it may be that only 33 - 50% of trips are successful - may show well, but not guaranteed. Wellies advisable, and easiest access via gateway between the two reservoirs (other directions are available, and not 'officially closed off').

Walking slowly and scanning the edges of the dead sedges visible through gaps -can be roosting behind tiny sedge clumps, even in dead trees, or just clambering around the edges in the open.

Probably too late, but hope this helps a bit.

Paid a visit to the reservoirs briefly on Thursday (16th) mid afternoon before rushing home, finishing packing and catching the train to Bristol for my flight to France. The girlfriend wanted me to spend some time with her before I left for two and a half weeks, so I suggested a nice visit to the local reservoir ...

College Reservoir 16th feb

Mute Swan 2
Canada Goose 8
Gadwall 2
Goldeneye 7+
Wigeon 150+
Mallard 2+
Tufted Duck 35+
Coot 55
Grey Heron 1
Cormorant 3+

Herring Gull 130+
GBBGull 2
LBBGGull 1
Black_headed Gull 174+
Med Gull 3+
Common Gull 4+
Mystery Gull 1 (see below)

Coal Tit rather vocal

(Gulls coming through all the time, a lot of active washing, and higher numbers of small gulls (at both) than I've noted before probably related to time of year and state of tide).

Argal res

Tuftie 3+, Mallard 9+, GCGrebe 1, BH Gull 101, Med Gull 1 in a quick scan from the car park. Also saw two birders with scopes arriving as I left ... that's a first ...

-----------------------------

'A Mystery Gull'

As mentioned above a rather flying visit to get some fresh air before travelling. About that mystery gull on College, although I have my suspicions now, frustratingly ...

One of the first birds on a quick scan of College was a small gull with its back to me ... 'that's dark mantled' I thought. Then I spent a minute trying to suss whether it was dark (there was a BH Gull next to it, but at a different angle) or just a light illusion. It definitely was a darker grey, and then it turned a little to show a 'dirty' black head and drooping black bill -??

Now I have zero experience of small yank gulls, although I should know more about them, but I did wonder about Franklin's. Then I thought no, it can't be ... it would be even darker mantled. I then fumbled for the camera, turning back, and the bird had flown. Three birds in flight, flying away form the area didn't look especially interesting, and checking in the Collins back home indicated a Franklin's has a distinctly different wing pattern, and darker anyway ... so left it at that.

Until opening the Collins at the parents (the french version), and saw the illustration of Bonaparte's Gull ...

Of course the done thing is not to mention it at all now (especially on public forum), opens up to accusations of suppressor/being a dude/stringing/imagining things, but hey ...

... of course odd birds do occur, but superficially features would point to Bonaparte's Gull (although not all features noticed), depends on mantle colour actually being darker than BH Gull, and a tendency on head moult into summer plumage being earlier rather than later, or at least in the range of timings.

Worth keeping an eye out for the bird in the area, although 'it' could have long gone.

Drat. :C

And apologies.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what these two small ducks are? Seen above Sett Bridge at Ruan Lanihorne. Photos are really bad as they were quicker than me. Waited over an hour to see if they reappeared but to no avail.

Was getting something of a Pochard impression, or poss Gadwall, but can't say for sure. More medium sized than small, and not sure about the black and white in flight bit ...

No sign of any Boneparte's Gulls on College Reservoir unfortunately, but American recompense in the form of a splendid drake Ring-necked Duck again.

Last edited:
I went to a meeting hosted by the Restronguet Creek Society in Devoran yesterday. A good turn out in the village hall for a talk from representatives of the Cornwall wildlife trust, emphasising the need for people to pass records of sightings on via their website. Went on a bit, but not too bad. Then the hardy few braved the howling wind and rain for a walk to the quay for a peek about. Saw teal, some godwit (unsure of type) shelducks, redshank, curlew and some ringed plover amonst others before being wetter than a ducks bum overcame my enthusiasm.

They look heavy billed to me, possibly female Shoveler.

Thanks for all the suggestions for my mystery ducks. Have been back each day but still not reappeared.
Thought you might like to see the photo I took of The PIGEON my husband pointed out:-O Even I'm not that bad.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 51
Thanks for all the suggestions for my mystery ducks. Have been back each day but still not reappeared.
Thought you might like to see the photo I took of The PIGEON my husband pointed out:-O Even I'm not that bad.

Nice photo.

A few sightings from Deveron this am:

1 Spotted Redshank,
6 Black-tailed Godwits,
2 Bar-tailed Godwits,
2 Knot,
1 Ringed Plover

College Reservoir

Interesting visit to Colloge today..

1 Ring-necked duck
1 Green woodpecker
1 Kingfisher
2+ Tawny owl
1000+ Jackdaws and rooks in the roost
4 Little grebe
3 Great crested grebe
etc

Brent geese.

A friend told me that the 2 brent geese were back at Flushing today. I am yet to see them - might take a stroll out that way tomorrow..

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back