• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waders in Melbourne, Vic, Australia (1 Viewer)

Hey, i saw these recently near Melbourne at the Western Treatment Plant. I'm really bad at IDing waders so if anyone can help that would be great.

Attachments

• Unknown-1-2.jpg
    Unknown-1-2.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Unknown-1-3.jpg
    Unknown-1-3.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Unknown-1.jpg
    Unknown-1.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 95
The breast pattern doesn't end quite as abruptly as I'm used to for pec, but I agree with pec. Definitely not a sharpie, IMO.

I'm getting a great knot feel for #1. Do they go as far south as Melbourne?

Thanks guys.

Jeff, according to my bird book Great Knots can be seen all around Australia. But theyre not common in Melbourne, and arent usually seen this early

Last edited:
Great Knot have shorter, pale legs, plus this bird seems to have a few red feathers remaining on the flanks. I agree with Curlew Sandpiper.

As above 1. Curlew Sandpiper, 2. Ruddy Turnstone, 3. Pectoral Sandpiper

The 3 main migratory shorebirds at Western Treatment Plant are Curlew Sandpiper, Red-necked Stint and Sharp-tailed Sandpiper.

Each season there are a few Pectoral Sandpiper - they probably go under-reported in the thousands upon thousands of sharpies. The extensive yellow bill base, quite bright yellow legs, and dark brown rather than rufous cap all look good for pec in this one. The termination of the breast streaking is not quite as sharp as usual, and the undertail coverts are not quite as clean as usual, but I still think this is a pec rather than a sharpie.

Re the first bird, notwithstanding Great Knot would be unusual at the treatment plant (though not unheard of!) this one is a Curlew Sand.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back