• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Logging bird visits to bird feeders automatically (1 Viewer)

xpst

I am an expert in measurements and signal processing, but I am not much of a naturalist.

I know how to create an inexpensive device that can log bird visits to bird feeders by very precisely weighing the feeder, and then logging those measurements versus time.

I can detect things like:

-- how many birds are on the feeder at any particular time

-- how much each bird weighs, to within a gram

-- How much bird feed is in the feeder

-- The rate at which the birds are eating the food, per bird

The measurement system would probably work best with finch feeders, hummingbird feeders, or the like. A bird would need to sit on the feeder for at least 2 seconds to be detected/measured.

My question: Is such data useful? If so, how?

I would like to collaborate with expert naturalists to refine the system, and optimize it for making measurements that are useful.

Are you such a naturalist, or can you recommend someone who you think could be a good collaborator?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back