• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (31 Viewers)

;)
9+ Jays moved west then south west over Burnham Deepdale 5 minutes agp.
Quite something to see, pictures to follow!

Edit: distant shots now attached.

Er 278+ Jays just reported from Cley 09:45-12:45 today, per bird news services!!

ps I'm guessing you mean '5 minutes ago' rather than '5 minutes American Golden Plover' ;)

Last edited:
John

Single grey squirrel sitting on pillbox in dunes at Horsey Gap during week looked equally out of place.

Mick

...and there was one a few days ago at Eccles, Cart Gap car park. The nearest stand of suitable trees is over a mile away in Happisburgh. Also been seeing a lot of road casualties in the last few weeks.

spread of Nuthatches

I believe there’s an old French recipe !

278+ Jays just reported from Cley 09:45-12:45 today

That figure is astonishing. Are you sure it’s not a typo.

In rapidly failing light, with the sun now mostly behind a bank of cloud, the extremely bright and well-marked Pec at Kelling had woken up. For those visiting, the bird seems to favour the north-eastern corner and can be viewed from the hedge. My shots were almost as if taken in Ye Olden Dayes, in black&white- and hardly worth squirrelling away.

An apposite combination of two of the recent themes can be seen below.

Attachments

• 242pse.jpg
    242pse.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 114
  • 107pse.jpg
    107pse.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 82
  • nutty squirrel pse.jpg
    nutty squirrel pse.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 105
The Pec as john says was in the NE corner in the grass, presume this is where it roosts. During the nday it had been very showy in the NW corner and along the Western bank.

John

www.kellingnature.zenfolio.com

Attachments

• pec1.jpg
    pec1.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 69
  • pec2.jpg
    pec2.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 78
  • pec3.jpg
    pec3.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
...and there was one a few days ago at Eccles, Cart Gap car park. The nearest stand of suitable trees is over a mile away in Happisburgh. Also been seeing a lot of road casualties in the last few weeks.

Saw one near the clifftop at Sheringham last weekend too - not very far from squirrelly woodland but nevertheless in a place I've never seen one in >15 years birding there. Clearly there must be an influx of squirrels as well as Jays.

Seriously though it goes to show how easy it might be to make assumptions about where Jays are coming from when we see them at this time of year, especially when we know there are a lot moving nearby. I've seen loads inland recently, but I always do at this time of year - they're always much more visible, and they move around too. A few birds flying along the coast need not be continental immigrants: they could equally be birds dispersing from inland and not wanting to cross the sea. That said with all the migration being recorded on the near continent and the very large numbers being reported in Kent (and, if the Cley count is gen, now in Norfolk too) there seems little doubt that at least some of them are from the Continent.

How confident are people in identifying Continental Jays based on visual appearance as opposed to flock size and flight path? I used to think I could do it but lost confidence in my judgement - is it straight forward enough given appropriate views?

And where are the Nutcrackers and Hawk Owls?

Cley 278-9 Burnham Deepdale...Humbled!

and nope! 5 minutes African Grey Parrot ;)
Hi Oliver - a lady from the Gorleston area (think it was) on this forum posted about losing her African Grey Parrot a few weeks back. Does anyone else remember this?

Update: just found the thread HERE

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
The comments on nuthatch in the Holkham pines is interesting. While they could be dispersing local birds in the 1990s I used to ring over bird feeders in the Wells holiday camp next to the Dell. In 10 years we never caught or saw a nuthatch at the feeders.
We did get a couple of contential Great spotted woodpeckers though. We saw one bird come straight off the beach , over the pine trees at a great height only to plumet into the little wood by the lake and straight into a mist net. A local woodpecker gave me the quickest ringing recovery I have ever had. We ringed it in the little wood and an hour later it flew into the Coastguard lookout windows on Wells beach a few hundred yards away.

My mother just told me that she had 20 Coal Tits in her italian fir tree at 12.30pm and they had left by 1pm. She said she has never had that many before in the garden! She also had a nuthatch yesterday in a tree on the way to Hunstanton where she has never seen one before.

I had two Jays go over a carpark in King's Lynn today.

Penny:girl:

Clearly there must be an influx of squirrels as well as Jays.

I will keep my eyes peeled for high-flying squirrels. Anyone would have to be nuts not to do so. Of course, they may have swum here. Were any of those seen actually on the coast wet ?

where Jays are coming from when we see them at this time of year, especially when we know there are a lot moving nearby very large numbers being reported in Kent (and, if the Cley count is gen, now in Norfolk too)

A quick read of some Kentish blogs reveals movements north and west on the south coast. These would, almost inevitably, have to be inward migrants from the near Continent (?).

An email sent to me yesterday, from the observer of the (yes!) 278+ Jays over the Hangs, also relates a fascinating mixture of other birds moving.

How confident are people in identifying Continental Jays based on visual appearance

This is a more pertinent question. The Collins Guide does not give illustrations of our close neighbours’ races. Are there some elsewhere ?

And where are the Nutcrackers and Hawk Owls?

With the utmost fervour and on my knees, I pray they’re on their way. For the latter, I’ve already identified a source of mice.

italian fir tree

Cheek ! Wrong nationality.

Ciao, from Giovanni.

Grey Squirrel records

Hi all,

As Norfolk Mammal Recorder, I'd really appreciate some records of these squirrel sightings with grid refs and dates - you can email me at dave.leech at bto.org.

Same goes for Rabbits, Brown hare, foxes, deer, porpoises, etc - any mammal sighting anywhere provides useful information and will be added to the Norfolk mammal database and included in the totals published in the Norfolk Bird & Mammal Report.

Cheers, Dave

They can also be eaten. Not wishing to cause offence to any veggie burger munchin, bambie loving pinkos who read this thread, but they also taste rather good;).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back