• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (39 Viewers)

Hi Brian,great photos,I don't know too much about the northern lights,but how often are they seen and when is the next time this will occur

Thanks, if only it were that easy to predict ;)

Not seen very that often in Norfolk but it has been a great year so far for them in Scotland and especially places like Shetland.

This year and next probably going to be best for the next 10 years or so (some scientists will tell you why this is, something to do with 10 year solar cycles and CMEs or Coronal Mass Ejections).

There are a few good websites to keep an eye on to help you try and see it
Aurora Watch UK on Twitter

You can also get email alerts when there is activity, check out their website

This is a great map as it is about as real time as you are going to get and so far I have found it quite accurate.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Cheers
Brian

No chance of me seeing them next Monday/Tuesday or Wednesday in Norfolk?
What time was this last night???

Really could say about next week, best bet is to keep an eye on those sites and if it is being seen react to it to then, you never know.

Took some photos around 10pm and then some more between 2-3am.

Sort of glad its not showing tonight as eyes and body couldn't take it, gotta hit the hay and catch up on some zzzzzzzzzz's

Cheers
Brian

I took this image a couple of weeks ago looking almost vertically up into a large conifer just past reception.

Attachments

• List-0870.jpg
    List-0870.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 190
tonyfenn -

Thirteen cranes at Welney today: two juvs, eleven adults.
Two pairs + their juvs are the birds from RSPB Lakenheath. The other seven are adults, one of which has only one leg.

Pectoral Sandpiper still at Kelling today and a Grey Wagtail was a nice surprise flying along the beach at Salthouse.

Attachments

• IMG_3315aa.jpg
    IMG_3315aa.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 167
Spare cash?

The "Pig Farm" along the A149 up for sale (again) by informal tender, guide price £20-£25k. Location, location, location.

I had 18 kids excitedly surveying our 5 school birdfeeders at lunchtime today, down at the school allotment. They were delighting in Robins, Blue, Great and a bonus Coal Tit. These are the supposed teenage yoof of today who just take drugs and mug grannies. No-one was bitching about whether it was a Blue or a Coal Tit or whether someone had shouted out their sighting milliseconds later than they should have. A thoroughly enjoyable lunchtime.

Just a thought.

BirdBeard

On Tuseday morning several skiens of pinkfeet came down the Yare valley at tremendous height 1000m + at about 10 .45. They set their wings and joined into two skiens of about 800 and landed in the Breydon area. I was over the river near Reedham so it was a bit far to see exactly where they went down. The birds seen over Norwich could have part of this flock. I would have think they had just come down from Scotland from the height they were at. I have never seen higher geese.

I was out well before first light and there were a lot of pink feet moving in the area all morning.

On Tuseday morning several skiens of pinkfeet came down the Yare valley at tremendous height 1000m + at about 10 .45. They set their wings and joined into two skiens of about 800 and landed in the Breydon area. I was over the river near Reedham so it was a bit far to see exactly where they went down. The birds seen over Norwich could have part of this flock. I would have think they had just come down from Scotland from the height they were at. I have never seen higher geese.

I was out well before first light and there were a lot of pink feet moving in the area all morning.

A flock of about 500 pinkfeet heading south-east flew over my house near Haddiscoe yesterday morning at 8.30 as I was about to take my 10 year old daughter to school. She usually finds birds "boring", despite my best efforts, but even she was impressed by the sound they were making.

The "Pig Farm" along the A149 up for sale (again) by informal tender, guide price £20-£25k. Location, location, location.

THIS IS A SECOND CHANCE !

Can Norfolk birders show the way and do the birding equivalent of Barcelona F.C. (owned and operated by its supporters) ?

Or, anyone out there have a spare £25K ?

This would be an ideal opportunity for a birding collective: £1000 each would soon get there.

It is a prime migration site, with a host of raries to its name- old pig farm/brick kiln, West Runton.

A stream runs through the western edge, there's a pond in the willows on the north-eastern corner and brambles and elders could soon be re-established, together with other, native plants and vegetation. Even room for a small wader scrape.

The developers appear to have stalled in their ‘improvements’ for some time, now. Planning permission was applied for but, presumably, refused; thus, the land and partially refurbished buildings are again on sale.

If more is known (there was always considerable reticence about the purpose of the development), please let us know.

Last edited:
Hi All
Visiting Norfolk over the next couple of days
could you tell me where the pec is at Kelling, is the American goldie on the reserve at cley. Also yellow browed and firecrest at walsey hills were they performing or just straight through. Sorry for being a pain but having spent many weekends at cley in the 70's/80's, I don't get there too often, so want to make the most of my time.
B :)in anticipation John
ps do birders still meet in the white horse Blakeney or the George in Cey, or have those days long gone.8-P
cuddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back