• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Californian pelagics ...which operator? (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Interested in taking a pelagic from Monterey Bay or Bodega Bay (or maybe elsewhere in California) in late August or early September.

Looked up various operators and though I understand Debra Shearwater's trips are good, her only available dates are the morning after I arrive (maybe good if I am not asleep!) or exactly in the middle of my trip, this not very convenient as I will be much further south in the State then.

So, any recommendations? Either of Debra Shearwater or other pelagic operators?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Jos

I was in Monterey last August and wrote about a short pelagic I did in post 18 here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=94046

It was billed as a whale watching trip but the captain was a birder and we saw loads of birds. I just loved it. The company is called Monterey Bay Whalewatch and this is their website:

http://www.gowhales.com/

It may not be enough for you. There is another company called ' Shearwater Journeys' that does longer trips, you could look into. I haven't done it so can't recommend it.

Hopefully ayasuda will be along soon to give you more recommendations.

Joanne

Are pelagics to Cordell Bank worth doing (or even available) in May/June? It looks as if that's when I'll be in California.

Both Shearwater Jouney's and Monterey Seabirds are top notch outfits with very experienced people on board.

I don't think they normally go out in May/June, first trips are usually July.

I have A Guide to Pelagic Birding which has information on the west coast operators (as well as the rest of the world). You may find it useful.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back