• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heat Haze at Elmley Marshes (1 Viewer)

Grousemore

Took a trip to one of my favourite places,Elmley Marshes RSPB Reserve in Kent.

Perfect weather conditions for this exposed location and in fact heat haze was a bit of a problem,which must be unusual for September. A a good selection of birds (50 species recorded)made for a very pleasant day's birding.

Wader numbers were down from my previous visits,not helped by the first hide having collapsed!(due to be replaced by a new one in October)but numerous Redshank and Lapwing,several Ringed Plovers,Greenshank,Avocet and Snipe,a couple of Turnstone and a solitary Curlew Sandpiper were observed.
Later in the day a flock of some 50 Curlews,with the odd Whimbrel thrown in were seen landing in the fields behind the first hide.
Shortly afterwards,17 Little Egret were counted roosting by the Swale with one Grey Heron.

Throughout the day there were good close views of Yellow Wagtail,Meadow Pipit,Wheatear and Whinchat,along with several Reed Warblers and a single Reed Bunting.

The highlight for me was the usual Raptor sightings at this site.

Peregrines were seen at close quarters,hunting,on three occasions and Marsh Harriers were ever present,along with one brief glimpse of a male Hen Harrier.
As ever the Kestrel was a constant companion and one perched on a post so near to me that I got the camera out, held it to my scope and produced the attached shot.

To round the day off,after the long walk back to the car park,a quick look over the wall behind the Toilets and the regular Little Owl was seen returning to his tree.

Attachments

• dscn0289a.jpg
    dscn0289a.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 170
Glad you had a good day Grousemoor. Like the shot of the kestrel. Have they finished the new area a bit nearer the car park? I thought I read that they were doing that this year.

james

Nice one Grousemore. I have a similar (but not as good) Kestrel shot taken at Elmley. I am very fond of Sheppey - something that always amuses non-birders.

While on the subject how about a team of Kent Birders getting together on GGBC weekend (see new thread) at Elmley to see how many birds we can record?

Thanks for the feedback,chaps,I can see myself buying an adaptor before long and trying 'proper' digiscoping.

Specifically;

Sorry,James,not sure what area you mean?

Hi Robin,I love the Sheppey area,there is always something atmospheric about it.Whatever time of year,rain or shine,difficult to describe,but I always leave the area in a very contented frame of mind.
Sounds a good idea for GGBC weekend,count me in.

Carlos,I hate to admit that I got there at 10 am and didn't get back to London until 8.30 pm.Lost track of time,you know how it goes!

Hi Grousemore, sounds like you had a great day.

A friend of mine found one of the little owls dead by the carpark about a week ago so it's good to hear that you saw one around.

I have come across what must surely be the same kestrel for the past three weeks running, was she sitting on the gatepost at the end of the track on the sea wall just as you go over towards the hides?

If it is the same one then it's good to know that she's still ok as she was looking decidedly 'low' when I last saw her.

I'm going to try to get up there over the weekend especially if the peregrines are about.

Woody

Nostalgia, homesick, must dab my eyes. The area west of the car park is criss-crossed by ancient footpaths (back to the middle ages) that once linked Queenborough and Minster Abbey with the various ferries that used to operate then, now neglected and overgrown, stiles rotting. The RSPB now discourages walking on the wall but I hope that only applies in the hide area. There's a grand walk round from the bridge to the reserve. There's now a discontinuity at the bridge, the new track didn't leave a way through for walkers (you can venture onto the bottom of the Swale below the bridge at low tide). There's a landfill at Rushenden, saw a hundred or more avocets on it a few years ago.

Brought back wonderful happy memories of birding at Elmley Marshes, it is a stunning place, even in the worst of weather, i saw my first ever pair of Turtle Doves at Elmley many many years ago, not managed to get back since.

Hi Woody,must be the same Kestrel as I took the picture exactly where you describe! She made several moves,mainly to the pile of stones by the sea wall,but kept returning to that post.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back