• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Macro focusing teleconverters. (1 Viewer)

Paul Corfield

After hearing about these from forum member Johnlantransj, I picked up a Teleplus 2X MC7 Macro Focusing Teleconverter off ebay earlier this week. Being a 7 element design made by Teleplus (Kenko) it should be good and I was very pleased with the quality when it arrived today. I had intended to take it apart and mount a 1.5X TN inside but it's too good as a 2X, so I will keep it as it is.

The other bonus with this type of focusing teleconverter is the helical action, it gives around 20mm of travel which allow you to focus the scope as you would a regular lens. You can quickly focus somewhere near with the scopes crayford focuser and then switch the helical focus of the teleconverter to fine tune.

I plan to get another one, probably the cheaper Vivitar version and then that will be the one I take apart. Mounting a TN in the front will allow a 20mm travel and therefore alter the magnification giving a zoom effect.

I've posted a couple of photos taken with the teleconverter and also two of the teleconverter itself, one showing it retracted and the other showing it extended.

Paul.

Attachments

• DSC_0432.jpg
    DSC_0432.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 127
  • teleplus1.jpg
    teleplus1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Teleplus2.jpg
    Teleplus2.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0440_01.jpg
    DSC_0440_01.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Ah, yes, now I remember. What did you get it for?
Don't some guys use stripped out ones for adjustable extension tubes?

I got mine for £31.90 which was a good price. There were quite a few on the 'Buy It Now' option and they were in the £40 to £60 range. I believe that people do gut them and use them for adjustable extension tubes. It would need to be a cheap one to do that though as I'd rate this as a very good 2X TC.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Congrat on the new MC7 TC. You are going to drive up the market on these TCs!!!

Interestingly, I can't find any of the Teleplus MC7 Macro TCs on eBay (in the U.S.). There are plenty of the Vivitar version. I won a Canon FD one for $10 USD + ($9 USD for shipping) but lost on a couple Nikon ones. My scope won't be here until Thursday, so I can't test anything now.

Thanks for the quick report.

Take care,
John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back