• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lima, Peru Passerines and a Parrot (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
#1 taken in a park in the historic district in the city centre, the rest in some parkland bordering the ocean in Barranco.

1. No clue. Behaved like tyrant flycatchers
2. Not sure either; I thought vermilion flycatcher at the time, but I now think the shape is off (as well as what appears to be a red crest)
3. Vermilion flycatcher?
4. Southern Beardless-Tyrannulet?
5. Think these are White-Winged Parakeets. Too big and wide-winged for Pacific Parrotlet I think.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 50
The first three are vermilion Flycatchers, in Lima there's a melanistic population. #4 is indeed a Southern Beardless-Tyrannulet.
Not sure if #5 can be identified, but it's definitely not Pacific Parrotlet

The first three are vermilion Flycatchers, in Lima there's a melanistic population. #4 is indeed a Southern Beardless-Tyrannulet.
Not sure if #5 can be identified, but it's definitely not Pacific Parrotlet

Agree these. The last actually looks more like a swift sp to me, not a parrot, but who knows with a pic of this quality

#5 was definitely a parakeet from call as they flew over. Only got this one terrible photo because they were too fast, but eBird states the only expected parrot sp. at this site are Pacific Parrotlet, White-Winged Parakeet and Red-Masked Parakeet. I'd arrived at the conclusion of White-Winged by eliminating the other two.

ebird:- the new field guide to identification o:)

Nope you're wrong. It's merlin. And I don't know whether I'll feel more frustrated by an AI telling me my ID is wrong [already happened once!] or BF members...

...Of course, there'll soon be no more need for this particular bit of BF.

Could it not just be that the photo is dark? If I brighten it up I do get what appears to be a white (or at least lighter) underwing patch similar to those images

Attachments

• 10 (2).JPG
    10 (2).JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 14
Having said that, I think the black wingtips would be visible in my image if they were white-wings, but I see no black wingtip. Underwing pattern looks good for red-masked imo, so I'm now favouring that?

Personally I don't think you can exclude any species of parakeet on range in Lima. We get Cockatiels in Bristol sometimes. And Crimson Rosella. Doubt their on ebird

Last edited:
Personally I don't think you can exclude any species of parakeet on range in Lima. We get Cockatiels in Bristol sometimes. And Crimson Rosella. Doubt their on ebird

For example:
"These flocks also include some individuals of similar species of
parakeet such as the Scarlet-fronted Parakeet (Psittacara waglerii), Mitred Parakeet (Psittacara mitratus) and White-eyed Parakeet (Psittacara leucophthalmus)"​

https://www.avianreport.com/parakeets-in-lima/

...So white-eyed at least is a candidate [underwing in pics now looks red]

I'm probably going to leave it as red masked for my records. Looks like that's one of the most common here, and it's not a lifer so it wont artificially boost my life list ;)

I'm probably going to leave it as red masked for my records. Looks like that's one of the most common here, and it's not a lifer so it wont artificially boost my life list ;)

I think its not safely identifiably from the single photo but if a parrot, it could well be a Psittacara sp.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back