• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large Gull ID (1 Viewer)

Pavel

Please help!

Attachments

• L_marinus_imm.jpg
    L_marinus_imm.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 330
  • L_marinus_Flight.jpg
    L_marinus_Flight.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 194
Please help!

Where was this taken?

In my opinion this bird is a 2cy male caspian. My reasoning behind this is its long legs (especially tibia), large dip/bulge behind legs, mostly white head and breast, small rounded head and long parallel bill with a tapering end. The jizz overall is very bulky for normal caspian however birds like this can occur.

Thanks Dante

Last edited:
oh yes, it is a 1st winter. an advanced male cachinnans which has fed and thus feathers near bill are wet.
upper tertials are 2nd generation as are many coverts, but note that most greater coverts are juvenile.

oh yes, it is a 1st winter. an advanced male cachinnans which has fed and thus feathers near bill are wet.
upper tertials are 2nd generation as are many coverts, but note that most greater coverts are juvenile.

I've never seen a first winter with tertials like that. Infact I've never seen a second winter with tertials like that.
Agree the greater coverts do appear juvenile.
Always learning;)

I've never seen a first winter with tertials like that. Infact I've never seen a second winter with tertials like that.
Agree the greater coverts do appear juvenile.
Always learning;)

I've not been able to find an image of a Caspan Gull,of any age,with tertials like these.
Not saying they don't exist,but can anyone provide a link?

pete.

Last edited:
You have to be a little more specific what you mean with "tertials like these". If you look closely enough, almost every gull tertial is unique in pattern, like fingerprints.

The problem is that first-year Caspian Gulls do not often moult their larger tertials, and you need to go through a largish number of individuals to see one. But when they do, the pattern of the new feathers may well be of this type.

This is not that different:

http://gull-research.org/cachinnans/2cy/l001754.html

Thanks Jalid and Lou.
I'm used to seeing scond generation tertials with a solid brown base and broad diffuse white tips,then the next generation uniform grey.Never seen them grey with dark cross bars.
Or maybe I've dismissed birds like this,because I thought this isn't what they should look like.

Pete

Thanks Jalid and Lou.
I'm used to seeing scond generation tertials with a solid brown base and broad diffuse white tips,then the next generation uniform grey.Never seen them grey with dark cross bars.
Or maybe I've dismissed birds like this,because I thought this isn't what they should look like.

Pete

this is the type of 2nd gen. tertails which are moulted in early, during postjuvenile moult. the ones replaced in the following summer mostly look dark with broad pale distal part (and subterminal band). but you would be surprized, maybe, if you see the variance in 1st gen. caspian tertials also ;) note the subterminal band in these 1st gen, TTs: http://www.lou.bertalan.de/gulls/m_phi.php?bid=1590&grp=cachinnans 1cy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back