• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mexican Flycatcher (1 Viewer)

The Snapper

Whilst at Coba ruins in Mexico last week, had rather brief head on views of a smallish grey-brown flycatcher sp with small crest. No photo I'm afraid.

Immediate thoughts were either Tropical Pewee or Northern Beardless Tyrannulet.

One particular feature I noted in the dull conditions were white outer tail feathers. I have looked through various literature and the web and cannot find any info.

Is anybody aware if this feature is consistent / would separate these two species?

Cheers

The tyrannulet is quite a bit smaller than the pewee and ,as I remember, it appears more "cresty" ,if you see what I mean and quite slight in body .I did see it at Coba too , but there again I saw the pewee on the coast.

for your description I have three options: Yellow-bellied Elaenia (who has the crest that you mention) Northern-breadless Tyrannulet or Slate-headed Tody Flycatcher, but the last one is very difficult to see in the forest

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back