Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Trying To Get Stoats On A Trail Camera

Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 09:01   #1
tyson

Trying To Get Stoats On A Trail Camera

Hi,

Could anyone advise about putting out food for stoats, to get them on my trail camera?

I took an abandoned/lost stoat kit to a rescue recently. It is doing well. I had seen the mum moving the kits but she didnít come back for this one unfortunately. I was hoping to get a video of the mum with the rest of the kits with my trail camera.

I only realised that stoats are mainly nocturnal recently. I always thought they were mainly out during the day. With hot summer mornings seeming to be the best time to see them for me personally.

Thanks in advance m. Iíve learned so much from this forum 👍

Chris
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 09:35   #2
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson View Post
Hi,

Could anyone advise about putting out food for stoats, to get them on my trail camera?

I took an abandoned/lost stoat kit to a rescue recently. It is doing well. I had seen the mum moving the kits but she didn’t come back for this one unfortunately. I was hoping to get a video of the mum with the rest of the kits with my trail camera.

I only realised that stoats are mainly nocturnal recently. I always thought they were mainly out during the day. With hot summer mornings seeming to be the best time to see them for me personally.

Thanks in advance m. I’ve learned so much from this forum ��

Chris
Stoats are intermittently active 24/7 and are frequently seen during the day especially during summer when females are feeding young and then well grown young are emerging and beginning to learn to hunt.

They are highly carnivorous and are unlikely to be attracted to carrion (not impossible though). Any you put out would have to be after dark as otherwise corvids would find it: in the dark foxes and other mustelids such as Badgers are likely to take it (at least you'd get footage...)

If you have an idea where they are I would try to watch and film them in daylight. Good luck and do report back any success and learning points, we can all do with the benefit of anyone's experience. Pictures/video also welcome!

John
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 10:24   #3
nodd
Neil

Hi Chis the the use of a Mostela which is a box with a camera trap set in it the box has a tunnel which the stoat can pass through. Details are in the link below I hope this helps.

https://www.mammal.org.uk/wp-content...selsStoats.pdf

Link to a copy of misters plans below

https://stichtingkleinemarters.nl/wp...s_14102019.pdf

Neil

Last edited by nodd : Saturday 23rd May 2020 at 10:32.
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 10:39   #4
tyson

Thanks John & Neil.

It’s a small wood which has badgers & foxes living in it as well. I’ll try early morning to film the stoats myself. Thanks as well for making it clear that stoats are out 24/7(especially at this time of year). That’s good news

I’ll report back with anything I get.

Chris
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: