• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birdwatching language (1 Viewer)

I've heard the term 'jizz' used a few times now, and even referenced once on this thread (but left perplexedly unexplained). I daren't try and google for it, knowing how such a word would be interpreted by search engines. ;)

Also, I would be interested to know how the Brits define 'patch'. Is it just your local area (county), is it a particular spot you frequent, is it a splotch of land immediately next to your home.. ?

Hi Arwen
Jizz. I think I've got this right... (o)< The origins of the word jizz are a bit obscure, but it's generally reckoned to be a corruption of the acronym "GISS", used by the RAF in World War 2 to mean "general impression of shape and size" - which is precisely how birders use it.

Patch is short for "local patch" and just means a site that you visit as regularly as you can. A local patch is thus basically a birder's own territory and he feels just as possessive about it as any avian songster when he sees an interloper - except that, as a rule of thumb, he doesn't go to the extent of duffing him up. ;)

Jason

Michael,

I've a few to add to that list

Barnie - either a Barnacle Goose or a Barn Owl
Blackie - A Blackbird
Coal and Candle Light - Long-tailed Duck (not widespread even in Sco but i like it)
Cushat or Cushie Doo - A woodpigeon (Sco)
Doo - A domestic or feral pigeon (Sco)
Dunnock - Hedge Accentor (UK)
Goldie or Gowdie (Sco) - A Goldfinch
Gos - A Goshawk
Perg - Peregrine Falcon
Pinkie - Pink-footed Goose
Spughawk - Sparrowhawk
Stuckie - A Starling

David

;) Hi everyone: I am new here
from Canada.. ... yes.. with a sense of humour
as I see you all have here..

then.. please how about a Lifer?

Egret

Last edited:
Thanks again for this entire thread. As a blatant beginner it has been most elucidating ! I needed to know what "dipper" and "gripped" were, now I know :)

Robin stroker ..

one who's idea of a good day in the field comprises standing around the interior of an RSPB visitor centre wearing binoculars and awaiting the arrival of friends from the local nature group before collectively watching a Great Tit (or Robin) live action webcam feed and deciding on whether purchasing the 'the Puffin oven gloves' or the 'owls of the British Isles tea-tray' should conclude proceedings till next spring ..

a horrid term ...

London Birder said:
Robin stroker ..

one who's idea of a good day in the field comprises standing around the interior of an RSPB visitor centre wearing binoculars and awaiting the arrival of friends from the local nature group before collectively watching a Great Tit (or Robin) live action webcam feed and deciding on whether purchasing the 'the Puffin oven gloves' or the 'owls of the British Isles tea-tray' should conclude proceedings till next spring ..

a horrid term ...

Horrid perhaps LB, but f***in funny all the same!!

:clap:

'Twitcher' one who walks up to the quite normal dude, asks,
seen the Pec Sand, or Curly Sand? gets a blank look, then walks
of in disgust, 'Hardened Twitcher' one who walks up to dude, says nothing
looks through bins, mutters Pec and Curly had them!! Walks off.

More shorthand names for birds:

Spaccie or plastic spastic (sorry, not very PC!) - Feral Pigeon
Whopper - Whooper Swan
alba wags - usually used on Scilly - sum total of Pied and White Wagtails
Surf Scrot - Surf Scoter

Michael Frankis said:
Another unkind one - 'tart's tick'

Used of rare birds, that most ('all') birders 'should' have seen, because there was an individual which stayed a long time somewhere and was very easy to see.

Sorry ladies . . . but it is one you'll hear used

Ive also heard it used simply in the derogatory manner of "you Tart"...i.e. Simply for not having seen something which I should have seen long ago...e.g. Tree pipit, Common RoseFinch, Lapland bunting.....jaysus I hate to keep going...its depressing!

Pariah

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back