• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Serrania de Ronda/Sierra de Grazalema (1 Viewer)

On the edge of my patch, I visited Laguna Dulce and Fuente de Piedra yesterday. There were good numbers of Black Kite en route and around the area of the lagunas, all headed south, as were Montagu's Harrier and Marsh Harriers. Despite a reasonably thorough search, I couldn't find Lesser Flamingo on this occasion. There were plenty of birds around and a few noted below.

Marsh Sandpiper (1), Wood Sandpiper (3), Marbled Teal - Duck (4), White-headed Duck 50+, plus Sand Martin, Common Swift (00s) and Common Coot (3000+) at Luguna Dulce.

Spotted Redshank (1), Curlew Sandpiper (20+), Little Stint (14), Dunlin (6) among many species seen at Fuente de Piedra.

Peter

On the edge of my patch, I visited Laguna Dulce and Fuente de Piedra yesterday. There were good numbers of Black Kite en route and around the area of the lagunas, all headed south, as were Montagu's Harrier and Marsh Harriers. Despite a reasonably thorough search, I couldn't find Lesser Flamingo on this occasion. There were plenty of birds around and a few noted below.

Marsh Sandpiper (1), Wood Sandpiper (3), Marbled Teal - Duck (4), White-headed Duck 50+, plus Sand Martin, Common Swift (00s) and Common Coot (3000+) at Luguna Dulce.

Spotted Redshank (1), Curlew Sandpiper (20+), Little Stint (14), Dunlin (6) among many species seen at Fuente de Piedra.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Laguna Dulce is great isn't it, I've called in twice this year, and wouldn't mind driving by again in September when I return....

How's the Brazil trip?

Jon

Hi Peter,
Laguna Dulce is great isn't it, I've called in twice this year, and wouldn't mind driving by again in September when I return....

How's the Brazil trip?
Jon

Hi Jon,

The Laguna Dulce is proving a great place this year! What makes it so good is the ease of observation and at the moment some interesting waders just to the right of the hide on a muddy shoreline. Incidentally Andy Paterson had Marsh Sandpiper at Guadalhorce last Monday.

Brazil is going well and at the last count 6/7 confirmed (paid) folk going on the tour.

Hope we see eachother this September, also at the Birdfair this year, will you be going?

Peter

Hmm, went to the fair last year as I was staying in relatively nearby Banbury at the time. Not sure I can be inspired to drive all the way to Rutland from Devon! Pathetic really, it was excellent!

Fly in to Spain late Sept, will keep in touch. My grandson is coming out for a week too! (with his parents of course!)

Jon

Hmm, went to the fair last year as I was staying in relatively nearby Banbury at the time. Not sure I can be inspired to drive all the way to Rutland from Devon! Pathetic really, it was excellent!

Fly in to Spain late Sept, will keep in touch. My grandson is coming out for a week too! (with his parents of course!)

Jon

Had me worried for a moment Jon, thought you might be torn between birding and baby sitting!

Peter :-O

Reporting your bird sightings in Andalucia

The Andalucia Bird Society are desperate to receive your records of bird sightings in the province, current and historical records are both very welcome. Also any trip reports and favourite bird sites... please help us update and compile our bird database here with the information you can provide, thanks... link below for guidance on submissions and also our standard (Excel) report document:

http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org...-articles/131-report-your-bird-sightings.html

Hoping you can help.

Peter B :)

So pleased I dumped paperwork in favour of birding with friends last Friday, it was one of those incredible days when you get just about all your expectations realised, we managed Long-legged Buzzard (2), Rüppell's Vulture (sub-adult), Bonelli's Eagle, Short-toed Eagle and Booted Eagle taking and feeding on a pigeon! Too many other species to list here, what a day!
The weekend was spent ringing and targeting Sylvia warblers, however and typically when taking time out to give a ringing demonstration over the weekend and the bloody wind blows hard!! Saturday was great, lots of warbler species and variety, but Sunday was impossible for putting up the nets, the strong winds would have made it too dangerous for the birds. Still, we all managed to see so many migrant passerines, both days were a great success for those making the effort to attend.

Peter B :)

Hi Peter.

I'm back across there for my annual jaunt next Tuesday and long-legged buzzard is one I've still to come across. Any clues as to location?

The area I find them with most frequency is the road to Old Ronda aka Acinipo, its the turning Alan from the Ronda - Sevilla main road. Common Buzzard are around too, but have regularly seen L-l Buzzard attacking these! The road is winding, but at the top of the ridge it levels and is straight, so anywhere along this road can be good. Hope you have success.

Peter

Just back from a hastily arranged 3 day trip to Grazalema. On the way back from Acinipo, looking for Roman remain not Buteos, we found a huge kettle of Vultures coming into feed in cork oaks to the west of the Acinipo road. I swear I saw a Ruppell's GV - I first thought it was a Black Vulture (I was driving) based on it looking really dark and solid, but it wasn't big enough. I got bins on it for a picosecond as it dropped below tree level - looked like a immature (not juv).

I'll get round to counting the GVs in the photo I took eventually, I reckon it was 150-200 ish and plenty had already landed when I took the photo.

Just back from a hastily arranged 3 day trip to Grazalema. On the way back from Acinipo, looking for Roman remain not Buteos, we found a huge kettle of Vultures coming into feed in cork oaks to the west of the Acinipo road. I swear I saw a Ruppell's GV - I first thought it was a Black Vulture (I was driving) based on it looking really dark and solid, but it wasn't big enough. I got bins on it for a picosecond as it dropped below tree level - looked like a immature (not juv).

I'll get round to counting the GVs in the photo I took eventually, I reckon it was 150-200 ish and plenty had already landed when I took the photo.

I went up there last Friday and again three or four days ago. It was very quiet and I reckon it must have been down to the time of day - mid-afternoon and early afternoon - by the time I got there.

I've had three Ruppells in the last couple of days down on the Strait. One yesterday at Algarrobo (distant but recognisable and photographable).

Another this morning at the same place that came low from behind with the wind under its tail and it was out of meaningful photographic range before I'd decided which of the three vultures it was.

The third was this afternoon just north of Tarifa when I came across one with couple of griffons hanging right next to the 340 opposite a pull-in. I got out of the car to photograph griffons before I realised that the second bird I was photographing at point blank range was another Ruppells (by the second frame I'd cottoned on).

I'm still trying to catch up with rufinus. One turned up at Algorrobo just after I left last Sunday and again on Monday.

Hi Jane, Pleased you had at least the Ruppell's, the area is where I most frequently see them, I have had 2 together and recently an immature! It can be an amazing site for Griffon, last week we had 400+ over the same oak woodlands (feeding area is inside). Its been good for Black and Egyptian Vulture (adult Black Vs).

Peter

I went up there last Friday and again three or four days ago. It was very quiet and I reckon it must have been down to the time of day - mid-afternoon and early afternoon - by the time I got there.

I've had three Ruppells in the last couple of days down on the Strait. One yesterday at Algarrobo (distant but recognisable and photographable).

Another this morning at the same place that came low from behind with the wind under its tail and it was out of meaningful photographic range before I'd decided which of the three vultures it was.

The third was this afternoon just north of Tarifa when I came across one with couple of griffons hanging right next to the 340 opposite a pull-in. I got out of the car to photograph griffons before I realised that the second bird I was photographing at point blank range was another Ruppells (by the second frame I'd cottoned on).

I'm still trying to catch up with rufinus. One turned up at Algorrobo just after I left last Sunday and again on Monday.

Sorry you dipped on the rufinus Alan. Next time! Had them there last Tuesday.

Peter

Narrowly missed you then - I was there on Wed!

My count was clearly an underestimate - on the full-sized photo Ican see 74 in the tiny square indicated and they'd been dropping in at an astounding rate for 10 mins when I took the photo!

Attachments

• griffs.jpg
    griffs.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Just checked my notes. It was Monday i was up there. The days are starting to blur.

Still no rufinus, but a black-shouldered kite at la Janda that has embarrassingly eluded me until today brings the raptor count for the trip to 22 - two adead of my previous best.

I spotted another Ruppells today before it came close overhead at Algarrobo. A couple of loud yells of "Ruppells" as it came towards me ensured everyone there got on it in good time. - that's 4 records in the last three days, although today's was sufficently close on time and habit to yesterday's at the same place (the one I couldn't photograph) that I suspect it might be the same bird.

it'll be interesting to compare plumage on the three that I have managed to photograph when I get home.

Last edited:
Out and about yesterday and we had Ruppell's Vulture imm near to Indiana and area by the Rio Guadiaro, Black Stork, 1000+ Rock Sparrow. Up at the top end of LLanos de Libar we had Goshawk, 00's Griffon Vulture, several Sparrowhawk, Short-toed Eagle and Booted Eagle. A few Sub-alpine Warbler were still present and many more Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler. Most noticeable was the 'fall' of Common Redstart, Spotted and Pied Flycatcher.

Several more species on a day which saw us list over 60 on the day.

Peter

Time off!

It’s been a hectic time leading various tours and day trips so far this year, but what to do on those rare occasions when you have some spare time? I mean time truly on your own, no one else at home or anyone demanding your time! I must admit the temptation is to lay back, relax, read a book or simply do nothing at all, but living where I do, between 2 UNESCO Biosphere parks here in the centre of the Serranía de Ronda, the call of the wild constantly rings in your ears. It’s a calling I am unable and unwilling to resist, so spare time is spent taking-in details of nature without constraints or demands, just strolling through wild places stopping to appreciate the comings and goings of late autumn birds in my favourite surroundings. Time too for reflecting on a hectic schedule and experiences gained over an autumn migration of wonders.

It now seems an age since the door to autumn slowly opened, the sounds of Africa escaped and weaved a spell on our summer resident birds here in Europe. The month of July may sound early for the call to return to Africa but here, near the main crossing point over the Strait of Gibraltar, evidence of migration was overhead and through our valleys. The sheer volume of birds involved in the autumn rush to leave for warmer climes was staggering. For the grand spectacle, then the larger migrants perhaps offered the audience a star attraction, but to see thousands of our smaller passerines, such as Bee eater Merops apiaster, forming colourful clouds as they left our shores was, I think, a sight that all should witness at least once in their lifetime. Here in southern Spain, we are so very fortunate to live so close to areas where we can bear witness to one of the natural wonders of our world.

Now there is a keenest to the air and a bite on the strong winds that sweep our valleys, most of our summer visitors have departed and we await the return of wintering birds. It’s a strange time of year, the lull before the storm, an in-between moment where still there are signs of migration with the fall of birds such as Black Redstart, Common Redstart and both Pied and Spotted Flycatcher, but lengthening shadows support the arrival of an ever shortening day and an air of resignation descends upon a landscape anticipating respite from the blistering heat of a long summer. The red haw berries and rosehips are ripening as leaves change colour, fall and drift across a dry landscape, soon these fruits will provide a banquet for visiting thrushes and fallen seed a feast for Alpine Accentors, truly the arrival of large concentrations of Ring Ouzel will herald a beginning to the end of our autumn.

Attachments

• Autumn_thekla-lark1.jpg
    Autumn_thekla-lark1.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 37
  • Autumn_black-redstart1.jpg
    Autumn_black-redstart1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Autumn_wheatear1.jpg
    Autumn_wheatear1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 35
Birds in short supply down here at Jimena these last few days Peter!

Still quite a few Booted and Short-toed Eagles around and more Sparrowhawks than I am used to seeing (generally two in a fortnight, seen 5 today!) Hey ho!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back