• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to go birdwatching (1 Viewer)

simmojunior

Hi,

I am off to Gambia on the 21st for 10 days.
We are staying on the coast fairly near to Brufut.

Does anyone have any tips or advice of where to go? I have never birded in Africa before.
Does anyone know exactly where Brufut woods are?

Many thanks.

Back from Gambia on the 6th Dec. stayed at the Senegambia, and they have there own inhouse bird guides, a bit more expensive than the rest but ok.

Could try Tijan 9934617, Lamin, 9909365 or abdoulie on 9806206 these are local numbers no code needed. Don't be afraid to neg on day price most charge £35 all day single £20 each if more than one, have a good time.

Thank you for that reply. I intend to use guides but also do some birdwatching alone. Where, other than Abuko, would you recommend going?

The golf course kotu bridge and the sewage ponds area are do able on your own, pop in and see Lamin he lives in the in the bird guide hq, taxi down to the bridge from the senegambia was 350 Dalasis paid on the way back after I phoned them to pick me up.

Marakissa area is a very good area up near Senegal but need transport, possible to stay overnight at this location.

Bilijo Forest was walkable along the beach from my hotel about 10 minutes.

hope this helps.

I had a very good day last week with JJ Jadama at Farasutu (http://farasuto.org/index.php), Pirang and Faraba Banta (Green Crombec, Black-crowned Crane, White-backed Night Heron, Bruce's Green Pigeon, Greyish Eagle Owl etc.) JJ is a member here and his website is http://www.gambiabirdguide.com/, and has a good site guide on it.

I would also highly recommend Kartong Quarry where Colin Cross is running an observatory. (Allen's and Purple Gallinule, Pygmy Duck, lots of waders and herons etc., plus an amzing close encounter with hunting Lanners) This you can do by either taxi or, if adventurous, bush taxi, down the coast.

I did the Kotu and Fajara areas (Painted Snipe, Grey-headed Kingfisher) with Dawda Barry and then went on to Brufut for White-faced Scops Owl and Long-tailed Nightjar. Dawda's details here... http://www.pbase.com/image/121130099 Perhaps get a guide to show you Brufut for a morning and then explore subsequently yourself.

I'll have trip reports for 2008 and this year up in the next few days and will post a link.

Graham

PS - Lobas I think you got stung for that taxi, but maybe that's because I'd never visited the tourist areas until that one day last week and don't know how much more they charge there. 350 dalasi is a good week's wage in the Gambia.

The big challenge in the Gambia is how to avoid being hassled. If you give them any sign of weakness they will not let go until you have given in. ALWAYS make sure you know the price before you set out on a trip.
I am going in the next few weeks and it will be interesting to see how long I last before blowing a fuse !! Birding on your own in places like Kotu Creek is a challenge but not impossible, you have to outwit the guides.
Some suggestions are
1) tell them you have already arranged all your guided trips and quote them the guide at the hotel but beware they might just phone him.
2) tell them you will hire a guide for your second week if you are left in peace now.This is even better if you are only there for a week !
3) Actually agree a trip some days forward and then they will all know you are taken and hopefully will leave you alone.
Remember that all the guides share information about the birders they see or have taken out. So they check out your stories.
The Kotu Creek area is very rich in a variety of birdlife. On my last visit I ticked over 100 species in this area alone and it is my intention to spend most of my time there on my next trip.
Places like the Bush track will give you a bigger list but, if like myself , you are interested in photography you might find it a disappointment.
Abuko is worth a visit and you can do that by taxi.They will ask about 600 dalasai but wait all day for you. Lots of the bird guides don't have transport of their own so you pay for a taxi as well.
The Gambia is a brilliant place for birds, it's some of the people that wear you down. I guess they are just trying to make a living but sometimes they are asking prices that are out of proportion to everyday living costs there.They seem to think we are all millionaires and £50 a day on a trip is nothing to us. Unfortunately it's way above my budget, they just don't comprehend that fact.

Haven’t finished the trip report but borrowed a few points in answer to some of the above...

Don’t stay in the Kotu / Senegambia area. It’s hideous, environmentally unfriendly, and full of sex tourists and bumsters. Stay in one of the lodges down the coast at Gunjur or Kartong, where hassle is very rare and staff are reasonably paid for their excellent service. You will still get people wanting to talk to you, and sometimes they’ll want to sell you something or recommend something. Most times they are just remarkably friendly and will go out of their way to help you with no expectation of reward. My personal favourite is Footsteps Eco-Lodge, where I’ve recorded well over 150 species within walking distance in less than two weeks.

The Gambia is one of the poorest countries on earth. £1 is a good day’s wage despite costs of what are ‘everyday’ goods for us being on a par with the UK. A qualified headteacher earns £40 a month, which may support a large extended family. However poor you are by UK standards, you are loaded to a Gambian, which is why young Gambian men are ‘attracted’ to British women struggling on the dole or a state pension in council accommodation. When you visit, take the time to visit a village and see the living conditions – it goes a long way to explaining why some of them in the tourist areas might think we’re walking cash machines.

Spend small amounts of money widely with people who are not pushy and try really hard not to get ripped off. Every time you pay five days wages for three bananas, or ten for a two mile taxi ride, you make life harder for the next tourist and reward the pushy behaviour which damages the reputation of the country and the experience of other visitors.

Use good local guides as much as you can afford to and pay them a fair price depending on their expertise, service, and experience. Money spent with guides goes directly to help Gambian people, unlike much of the money spent with overseas travel companies and foreign-owned hotels. Use those who are active in conservation projects, e.g. Farasutu Community Forest. Consider that their work is seasonal, often supports extended families, and that there are many more competent guides than birders these days. Spread your money around, the good guides are magnanimous about you using other guides and I have heard no bad-mouthing; they are pleased that you are using guides. Where transport is included, bear in mind that fuel costs almost the same as in the UK (>£1 a litre) and that cars cost a fortune to run on Gambian “roads”. For the very best and busiest, guiding is a relatively lucrative business with the opportunity to earn perhaps three or four thousand pounds a year, less expenses. If this distorts the economy, then by doing so it demonstrates the importance of Gambia’s natural resources to the economy, and encourages Gambians to preserve habitats.

Gambia is a great, safe, country with fantastic birding and genuinely friendly people. Given that most birders turn up with kit worth many times what they could earn in a year, the degree of hassle and the virtual absence of crime is remarkable.

Graham

Haven’t finished the trip report but borrowed a few points in answer to some of the above...

Don’t stay in the Kotu / Senegambia area. It’s hideous, environmentally unfriendly, and full of sex tourists and bumsters. Stay in one of the lodges down the coast at Gunjur or Kartong, where hassle is very rare and staff are reasonably paid for their excellent service. You will still get people wanting to talk to you, and sometimes they’ll want to sell you something or recommend something. Most times they are just remarkably friendly and will go out of their way to help you with no expectation of reward. My personal favourite is Footsteps Eco-Lodge, where I’ve recorded well over 150 species within walking distance in less than two weeks.

The Gambia is one of the poorest countries on earth. £1 is a good day’s wage despite costs of what are ‘everyday’ goods for us being on a par with the UK. A qualified headteacher earns £40 a month, which may support a large extended family. However poor you are by UK standards, you are loaded to a Gambian, which is why young Gambian men are ‘attracted’ to British women struggling on the dole or a state pension in council accommodation. When you visit, take the time to visit a village and see the living conditions – it goes a long way to explaining why some of them in the tourist areas might think we’re walking cash machines.

Spend small amounts of money widely with people who are not pushy and try really hard not to get ripped off. Every time you pay five days wages for three bananas, or ten for a two mile taxi ride, you make life harder for the next tourist and reward the pushy behaviour which damages the reputation of the country and the experience of other visitors.

Use good local guides as much as you can afford to and pay them a fair price depending on their expertise, service, and experience. Money spent with guides goes directly to help Gambian people, unlike much of the money spent with overseas travel companies and foreign-owned hotels. Use those who are active in conservation projects, e.g. Farasutu Community Forest. Consider that their work is seasonal, often supports extended families, and that there are many more competent guides than birders these days. Spread your money around, the good guides are magnanimous about you using other guides and I have heard no bad-mouthing; they are pleased that you are using guides. Where transport is included, bear in mind that fuel costs almost the same as in the UK (>£1 a litre) and that cars cost a fortune to run on Gambian “roads”. For the very best and busiest, guiding is a relatively lucrative business with the opportunity to earn perhaps three or four thousand pounds a year, less expenses. If this distorts the economy, then by doing so it demonstrates the importance of Gambia’s natural resources to the economy, and encourages Gambians to preserve habitats.

Gambia is a great, safe, country with fantastic birding and genuinely friendly people. Given that most birders turn up with kit worth many times what they could earn in a year, the degree of hassle and the virtual absence of crime is remarkable.

Graham

Some excellent points Graham and I agree in principal with most points you make however the majority of affordable package tours are based in the Senegambia and Kotu areas and not everyone can afford the luxury of a more exotic location and independent travel.
Having recently been to Goa where I can hire an excellent guide at half the price or less of one in the Gambia I do ask why ? I only have a finite amount of money to spend so I can't afford to hire a guide that often in a 3 week holiday. I never feel threatened in the Gambia, but the degree of hassle can be considerable, so much so that it actually puts many people off returning and does their country a great disservice.
As for supporting local business enterprise, in principal it seems like the right thing to do but there again that means you shouldn't buy global products like Coca Cola, Nikon,Sony and Microsoft or shop at multi nationals like Tesco or Asda. The fact that you are visiting the Gambia is putting money into their economy and creating jobs no matter who is the recipient of your hard earned cash.

Graham

Thank you very much for your advice. You'll be happy to know that I'm not staying in the Kotu/Kololi area for that reason. I have taken the name and contact details of a Gambia native guide who I met at the Rutland bird fair.
Hopefully my flight will get away.

the majority of affordable package tours are based in the Senegambia and Kotu areas and not everyone can afford the luxury of a more exotic location and independent travel.

My recent trip, booking last-minute return charter flights and lodge accommodation separately, cost a total of under £350 for ten days B&B including airport transfers.

Footsteps Eco-Lodge can now be booked through Cosmos as a package at a price which compares very favourably with the hotels in the Senegambia and Kotu area. They are advertising £429 per person.... http://www.cosmos-holidays.co.uk/gambia/gambia/gunjur/footsteps-eco-lodge (please tell Footsteps I sent you)

Admittedly, my previous trip was with Hidden Gambia including the upriver trip to Bird Safari Camp, Janjangbureh and some more luxurious accommodation at the coast for a couple of nights. This was much more expensive, but we saw many more good birds and a side of Gambia a million miles from the main tourist strip.

Graham

As for supporting local business enterprise, in principal it seems like the right thing to do but there again that means you shouldn't buy global products like Coca Cola, Nikon,Sony and Microsoft or shop at multi nationals like Tesco or Asda. The fact that you are visiting the Gambia is putting money into their economy and creating jobs no matter who is the recipient of your hard earned cash.

All visits put some money in, yes, but where you stay and what you do makes a big difference to how much. A significant proportion of money spent with package tour operators stays in the UK or flows out of the Gambia to foreign owners and investors. Jobs are created but conditions and pay are poor, and there is little concern for environmental and social impacts. Using members of The Association of Small-Scale Enterprises in Tourism (ASSET) ensures reasonable pay and conditions for staff and ensures your money stays in the Gambia, working for sustainable development... http://asset-gambia.com/camps.htm

And I don't buy from Tesco or Asda, only from the Co-op. (But do drink the occasional Coke and use a Nikon scope - hand-crafted local scopes are pretty hard to find!)

Really don't want to come across as sanctimonious, just want to say that responsible tourism isn't necessarily expensive or difficult. It is possible to have a hassle-free, relaxing birding holiday in a way that is socially and environmentally responsible. (notwithstanding the air travel impact - for indulgences buy a bit of Harapan every time you fly... http://www.rspb.org.uk/supporting/campaigns/sumatra/wildlife/index.aspx )

Graham

My recent trip, booking last-minute return charter flights and lodge accommodation separately, cost a total of under £350 for ten days B&B including airport transfers.

Footsteps Eco-Lodge can now be booked through Cosmos as a package at a price which compares very favourably with the hotels in the Senegambia and Kotu area. They are advertising £429 per person.... http://www.cosmos-holidays.co.uk/gambia/gambia/gunjur/footsteps-eco-lodge (please tell Footsteps I sent you)

Admittedly, my previous trip was with Hidden Gambia including the upriver trip to Bird Safari Camp, Janjangbureh and some more luxurious accommodation at the coast for a couple of nights. This was much more expensive, but we saw many more good birds and a side of Gambia a million miles from the main tourist strip.

Graham

Thanks for the link Graham. We booked through Monarch, the same company as Cosmos and this option wasn't available at the time. I might have gone for it but we are going for three weeks and the advantage of the main tourist area is that there are a wide number of restaurants to choose from whereas if you are stuck far from everywhere else it might prove problamatic if you are not happy with the food. I also have to consider my o/h and what she wants out of her holiday, staying in tents isn't on her list at all but personally I would love to get away from the coast. I had already booked when I discovered Hidden Gambia too, which is unfortunate as I think their up river trip by boat sounds fantastic and one I can even persuade my non birding wife to accompany me on.Their holidays are pricey though. We are paying £1400 for two of us for 3 weeks B&B at the Sunset Beach in Kotu which is of a decent standerd and perfect for birding the Kotu Creek, beach ,cycle track and various ponds. My list for this area was actually 152 !
I think you paint too bleak a picture of the Kololi /Kotu area, the sex tourism is for a minority and then it's middle aged and older women who are the buyers. Balances out the brown mac brigade in other places !
The bird guides can be a much bigger pain, they will follow you around if they see you wandering alone with bins or a camera.
Anyway, time will tell and I'm looking forward to the challenge of my next trip !

Thank you very much for your advice. You'll be happy to know that I'm not staying in the Kotu/Kololi area for that reason. I have taken the name and contact details of a Gambia native guide who I met at the Rutland bird fair.
Hopefully my flight will get away.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the runways get cleared in time !
The guides who make it to Rutland must do good business to make it worth their while going !

I had already booked when I discovered Hidden Gambia too, which is unfortunate as I think their up river trip by boat sounds fantastic and one I can even persuade my non birding wife to accompany me on.Their holidays are pricey though.

Although he doesn't advertise it, you can book just the upriver trip with Mark Thomson once you are in Gambia if he has space on boats which are already running. (http://www.hiddengambia.com/adventure_holidays/contactus.asp) I met someone who did this last week and she got a very good deal by comparison with the prices on the website for the full holiday including coastal accommodation.

Graham

Latest observations from Gambia?

Hello

It will be my 3rd and my friend 7th(13 weeks and 354 species) trip to Gambia in January 2011. We are part of 6 persons Finnish group.

Is there nowdays some forum, where is recent sights? It is very time-consuming pick up observations from tens of reports.

Our best: white-bellied bustard, savile's bustard, brown booby, red-billed tropicbird, zebra waxbill, chestnut-bellied sandgrouse etc.

Have a good bird year 2011 for everybody

http://www.riihijan.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Lintukuvia+Gambiasta+%28L%E4nsi-Afrikka%29/ unfortunately in Finnish

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23273346@N08/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back