• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pigeons invading bird-bath (1 Viewer)

Being largely house-bound, one of Mum's greatest pleasure is the little garden birds. Bird-feeders are now gone because of a feral pigeon menace fuelled by unnecessary feeding locally. Now even the garden bird-bath is under threat due to some massive wood-pigeons suddenly taking a fancy to our garden and one plonking itself in the bird-bath. Again I fear that they are being fed nearby. For Mum's sake I wish there was a way to either deter them from entering the garden altogether or, at least, keep them out of the bird-bath!:C

Hi Pilgrim mike, you will find it difficult to deter pigeons to bird baths as like kids to paddling pools they see their mates having a splash and they all like to have a go. I have recently built a birddbath on the front lawn, and we have a Carrion Crow. who has a habit of bringing bread thrown out by the neighbours and soaking it in the water before eating, its kind of annoying , but I just have to clean it out and top up the water regularly !

Regards from Mark

.... except these are Starlings Mike. A bird that is now rather a threatened species in this country, though their numbers are swelled by winter visitors.

Once you start feeding birds, you really have to accept what comes. Try and enjoy the Starlings - they really can be quite entertaining.

Perhaps if you post in the Garden Birds forum, you might get some ideas as to how best to feed and where to place the feeders to help encourage the 'little colourful birds' that you seem to want.

Remember, it's not 'your garden' the birds see, just an extension of the wider countryside which is their rightful home.

Thanks for this. At present we don't have bird feeders. I daresay there's plenty they can find around the garden. Starlings are fine. We also get blackbirds, blue-tits and the odd robin. Small is good, colourful is nice, though not essential but pigeons are a no-no. I'll try the forum you suggest.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back