• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Petition for saving Special Nature Reserve "Stari Begej-Carska Bara", Serbia (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

Petition for saving Special Nature Reserve "Stari Begej-Carska Bara", Serbia

Hi Folks,

I have just received the following email asking for help to save the Reserve, the matter is urgent as the petition has to be signed by Tuesday 30 October.
It must only have gone on line tonight as there were less than 20 signatures when I last looked.

Please please sign it.

Thank you

Ann

Dear Friends,
9 NGOs from Serbia are at this moment fighting to save Special Nature
Reserve "Stari Begej-Carska Bara" which is also RAMSAR, IBA and IPA
area. This very important locality (especially for birds) is endangered
by building of illegal shipyard (transport ships) on the border of the
reserve covering 5.400 . On the following link you can find all data
concerning this subject. What we are also doing at this moment is
collecting a petition together with online petition on this subject, so
we are literally doing everything what is in our power.

PLEASE HELP US BECAUSE WE NEED TO CREATE BIG PRESSURE OVER THE
RESPONSIBLE INSTITUTIONS SO THEY CAN ACT!!!! We can not allow them to
continue with this. We have a time until Tuesday evening (30th October
2007) to collect as much signatures as possible. Therefore, PLEASE HELP
us and forward this to as many people you know, especially birders since
Carska Bara is one of the most important migration stopovers for
thousands and milions of birds in this part of Europe.

SIGH PETITION HERE:
http://www.petitiononline.com/strepera/petition.html

Best wishes and thanks in advance for everything!!!
Marko Sciban.

Thanks for highlighting this Ann. I have signed. Signing these is no problem to me; and I'm sure that I speak for everyone on the Forum; come back as often as you think fit. Keep up the good work.

Kind regards.
Baz.

Thanks Ann, you do a splendid job in highlighting such important issues for us all to be made aware of. I see it is not only the Special Nature Reserve threatened.

As above mentioned, this location is in the immediate vicinity of the unique habitat of marsh birds (Pygmy Cormorant, Spoonbill, Red-breasted Goose, Ferruginous Duck, White - tailed Eagle, Osprey,...) and other rare European animal and bird species (over 260 recorded species). Also, at the same location, the famous “Batka” archaeological site from the 5th Century B.C. is threatened.

I have signed...thanks Ann!:t:

ps. 305 signatures!! A lot more needed!

Last edited:
Thanks Baz and Pam,

Last night when I saw only 20 signatures I thought no way can we make an impression, now the total is 317 so climbing steadily thanks to everyone who has signed. Good to see many Serbians have signed as I am never sure if the residents of a country need jobs and wildlife is a secondary consideration for them. I also noticed signatures from America and South Africa (thank you Mark I knew I could rely on you).

Thanks Pam for highlighting the birds living on the marsh I tried to make the post on Ex Beebs Forum as short as I could.

Ann :egghead:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back