• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (37 Viewers)

Titchwell October 4th

Today's highlights

Yellow browed warbler - 2 on Meadow/Fen trails calling but generally mobile and very elusive
Scaup - drake on fresh marsh (random record of the day!)
Curlew sandpiper - 3 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - 1 on pool in reedbed
Jack snipe - 1 on Patsy's reedbed
Peregrine - 1 hunting over fresh marsh
Whinchat - 2 on grazing meadow

Paul

Thanks for the info.
I remember seeing the photos on here but nowadays things are photoshopped to make them probably look morf detailed than they may of been with the naked eye,were impressive though

Unless it's a sibe that arrived yesterday evening and has decided to hang about, I wouldn't hold my breath. Forecast doesn't inspire much optimism for the next week either. Fingers crossed for some rain during the next period of high pressure, it's been rather disheartening to read reports of all the birds found to the north, south and west of us!

Titchwell October 5th

Today's highlights

Yellow browed warbler - 2 on Meadow & Fen trails but elusive
Black necked grebe - 1 on sea
Jack snipe - 1 on Patsy's reedbed showing well at times
Hen harrier - ringtail over saltmarsh
Med gull - adult offshore
Spotted redshank - 6 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - 1 in reedbed
Wheatear - 2 on beach

Paul

Today's highlights

Yellow browed warbler - 2 on Meadow & Fen trails but elusive
Black necked grebe - 1 on sea
Jack snipe - 1 on Patsy's reedbed showing well at times
Hen harrier - ringtail over saltmarsh
Med gull - adult offshore
Spotted redshank - 6 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - 1 in reedbed
Wheatear - 2 on beach

Paul

Hi Paul
We also had an Osprey over early afternoon, a Bonxie flying west. Some other people had just seen a Redstart on the marsh.

Dawn

Was the Cattle Egret photographing the twitchers or the cattle? ;)

Eddie, Simon and I walking to look for the Rose-coloured Starling at Horsey - don't see connection to Cattle Egret?

Penny
I photographed the twitchers. The cattle egret did not photograph anybody!

Monday 30 Sept
I spent most of the afternoon at the cattle egret, put the news out, and told people where it had gone (behind a fence). Eventually the bird re-appeared.

Saturday 5 Oct
Confirmation on the pager that the Siberian stonechat was still at Trimley Marshes Suffolk came before 9am.
The bird showed well at times but the only update during the day was made by me at 1240pm. After an evening request for news, confirmation the bird was present in the afternoon was made - nearly an hour later.

Brancaster 0730-0915

9 x Mistle Thrush, 2 x Redwing, 3 x Song Thrush, Goldcrest, Blackcap, Jay x 4, Cettis, Red Admiral, and several 2 and 3's of Skylarks heading inland.

Titchwell October 6th

Today's highlights

Yellow browed warbler - 1 on Meadow trail but no further sign after 09:30
Black brant - adult reported on fresh marsh this morning but no further details
Jack snipe - 2 on Patsy's reedbed
Curlew sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 3 on fresh marsh
Snow bunting - 4 on beach west of boardwalk
Yellow legged gull - adult on fresh marsh
Pintail - 40 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 4 on Volunteer Marsh

Paul

Further to Paul's post a 2 Curlew Sandpiper and 1 merlin. Apparently people had heard YBW about 4pm is but I didn't see / hear anything. Also 2 male two bar's showing well this morning

Unless it's a sibe that arrived yesterday evening and has decided to hang about, I wouldn't hold my breath. Forecast doesn't inspire much optimism for the next week either. Fingers crossed for some rain during the next period of high pressure, it's been rather disheartening to read reports of all the birds found to the north, south and west of us!

The Smart call on the weekend just gone. Early days but the weather map (should it work out) could provide classic fall conditions for the east cost, Norfolk included.

Hi Mark, my fingers are crossed for the end of the week, too early to be certain yet, but I think several of us will be in "attack mode" for friday. Here's hoping I find something better than YB this autumn...

Titchwell October 7th

Today's highlights

Jack snipe - 1 on Patsy's reedbed
Red necked grebe - 2+ offshore
Little stint - 4 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 14 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 8 on volunteer marsh
Wheatear - 1 on fresh marsh
Whinchat - 2 on grazing meadow

Paul

Parrot Crossbill invasion on the cards?

Hey teeny-boppers,

Tweeted by BirdGuides 'Reports from Denmark suggesting largest invasion in three decades, 'possibly thousands', of Parrot Crossbills in recent days.

With the coming 'possibilities' in weather conditions, does anyone believe this could pay of for us and the rest of the east coast?

Kieran

Users who are viewing this thread

Back