• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

upcoming trip Tokyo area (1 Viewer)

peachfront

Any of you folks still around? Will be visiting Tokyo for the first time for the Memorial Day long weekend. I have visited Kyoto before so I already have a few Japanese birds on my list but I would like to get more. Anyone wants to meet up, feel free to message me or tweet me. I have dowloaded Charlie Harper's information and followed up on it as best as I can, but I already have a couple of questions.

1) Eastern and western crowned warbler -- do they really BOTH occur on Takao-san and, if so, what should I watch for? Looks like the undertail coverts (more yellow on eastern), only one wingbar on eastern...correct? Or does this stuff not show well in the field? Or is it a moot point because it is not true that both species occur there?

2) Anyone care to share where they have seen Azure-Winged Magpie or Japanese Green Woodpecker lately?

3) Ruddy Kingfisher...I learned of this bird from the Takao-san website and would LOVE to see that bird. Easy bird? Not likely? Any suggestions? Is it a songbird like say Woodland Kingfisher of South Africa or is this more of a rattle-bird like our Belted Kingfisher? I am not good with songs but I can hear our Kingfishers fly in because of the rattle, they make and it would be helpful to know if there was any sound to listen for like this.

Thanks!!!

P.S. I started to post this in the original Quick Birding in Tokyo thread but I got a message not to do so, as the thread was too old. So I apologize in advance for starting a new thread on the topic but maybe we can get some more current discussion? When I return, I promise to post what I saw. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back