• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small Buttonquail in Morocco (1 Viewer)

Acrocephalus

Morocco
Hi everybody,

Recently a joint Hispano-moroccan team discovered and captured some Small Buttonquails in Sidi Moussa on the Atlantic coast of Morocco. This has been published recently in a local Spanish magazine; the following is the title of their article:

Gutiérrez C. & Qninba A. 2010. Identificación de rastros e indicios del Torillo Andaluz. Quercus 289: 14-19.

I wonder if someone here has seen it elsewhere in Morocco?

Regards

Great news! There were rumours circulating several years ago already that a small population was discovered in Morocco, but nothing more.

Good news indeed. When you wrote "captured" did you mean only temporarily (e.g. whilst being ringed) or do you mean to imply "taken into captivity" on a more permanent basis?

Hi Acro, i remember seeing about 6 months ago an excellent photo of one which i think was taken on the Atlantic coast near Oualidia. It inspired me to have a go on my next trip to Morocco! I think it might have been on the Go-South website, or linked from there and i think was in French.
Best.

Good news indeed. When you wrote "captured" did you mean only temporarily (e.g. whilst being ringed) or do you mean to imply "taken into captivity" on a more permanent basis?

Hi all,
Firstly, the fist author’s name is “Exposito C.G.” not as I mentioned before, sorry for that.
For now at least, there is no captures for captivity, in the fist page they wrote “one bird was captured, ringed, studied and released alive”. Also they “tracked” the birds by searching their traces and faeces. They also found nests. The paper I have is a scanned photos of the original article, and my Spanish is not too good to reed it properly.

Hi Acro, i remember seeing about 6 months ago an excellent photo of one which i think was taken on the Atlantic coast near Oualidia. It inspired me to have a go on my next trip to Morocco! I think it might have been on the Go-South website, or linked from there and i think was in French.
Best.

Right, the birds you are referring to were found near Oualidia, actually a few km from Sidi Moussa where the above study was conducted. They were two birds; one found dead and reported that was apparently killed by a vehicle and the second bird was photographed alive. You can see both photos in the following link from Go-south.org (page 6).
http://www.go-south.org/go-south-bulletin/go-south_bull_6_76-91.pdf

Hi all,
Firstly, the fist author’s name is “Exposito C.G.” not as I mentioned before, sorry for that.
For now at least, there is no captures for captivity, in the fist page they wrote “one bird was captured, ringed, studied and released alive”. Also they “tracked” the birds by searching their traces and faeces. They also found nests. The paper I have is a scanned photos of the original article, and my Spanish is not too good to reed it properly.

Right, the birds you are referring to were found near Oualidia, actually a few km from Sidi Moussa where the above study was conducted. They were two birds; one found dead and reported that was apparently killed by a vehicle and the second bird was photographed alive. You can see both photos in the following link from Go-south.org (page 6).
http://www.go-south.org/go-south-bulletin/go-south_bull_6_76-91.pdf

Right, Mo, here's another reason for me returning on a serious birding expedition to Morocco! I've always wanted to see Andalucian Hemipode, or Small Buttonquail as it now is.

Jon

Hi all

I only want to remember that this one of the most endangered vertebrates in the WP, and that lots of people making preasure over this tiny breeding group is not the best.

There is a huge area in Doukkala region were birdwatchers can seek for the species (between Safi, El Jadida and Khemis Zemamra), and possibly find new pairs or groups and contribute to the conservation of the species.

Please, I would like to ask to the members of bird forum to be discrete and not disturb habitat and persons in any place with the presence of buttonquails, and also do not reveal any location to others. Thank you very much.

Any one who is interested can ask me for a pdf copy of this spanish publication.

Thanks for your help and respect to bird conservation

Carlos Gutierrez

PD My name was correct in the first post from Acrocephalus.

My thought was: birders can help

Hi all

I only want to remember that this one of the most endangered vertebrates in the WP, and that lots of people making preasure over this tiny breeding group is not the best.
There is a huge area in Doukkala region were birdwatchers can seek for the species (between Safi, El Jadida and Khemis Zemamra), and possibly find new pairs or groups and contribute to the conservation of the species.

Hi Carlos & all,

Thank you Carlos for your post and for your concern about this population and sorry for miss-identifying your name and for upsetting you by posting this in the Birdforum.

By posting this news here, I only wanted people to know that Small Buttonquail is still present in Morocco, and I asked if someone has seen it elsewhere in Morocco. By this I was unofficially inviting birders to look for the species during their trips to Morocco and eventually report this in their trip reports and notes. I thought that this species unlike the Slender-billed Curlew for example, is not twitcheable, because it is widespread in sub-Saharan Africa and Asia. Therefore, if birders wanted to look for Small Buttonquails in Morocco, it is unlikely to cause threats to the species; in the contrary, birders can contribute to rediscover new populations of this enigmatic species and by this contribute to the effort to conserve these relic and endangered populations in the WP. As you said there is a huge area where people can search for the species, in the area you mentioned (Doukkala region) and also in the north where there are indications of the presence of the species somewhere near Larache.

Actually we have here in Morocco many cases of bird species discovered and added to the Moroccan list (and sometimes to the WP list) by observations of “amateur birders”. This was the case of at least 5 or 6 species in southern Morocco in recent years. I would like to give here the examples of these species to illustrate how the observations of visiting birders can be extremely important. Except from the Cape Gull, all other species were taken from the detailed article by Thévenot & Bergier (2008).

Cape Gull Larus dominicanus vetula in the Khnifiss Lagoon, southern Morocco. This species is first recorded there by visiting birders and with accumulation of records from different birders until eventually they discovered its breeding there. Bergier et al. (2009) summarised all the observations and the breeding record.

Dunn’s Lark Eremalauda dunni was first discovered and added to the Moroccan list by birders in the Awserd region (south-east of Dakhla). See Lees & Moores (2006), Copete et al. (2008) and others cited by Thévenot & Bergier (2008).

Black-crowned Finch Lark Eremopterix nigriceps albifrons. Since the observation of the species in southern Morocco by Valverde (1957), there is no recent records of the species until 1999 and onwards. Again this rediscovery was led by birders. Schollaert et al. (in Thévenot & Bergier 2008) were the first to record the birds in 1999.

Desert Sparrow Passer simplex (subspecies saharae or simplex??) was unknown from the southernmost Western Saharan provinces until 1999 when Schollaert et al. (in Thévenot & Bergier 2008) discovered the species in the region. The birds were seen during subsequent trips and found the birds more widespread in the area.

Cricket Warbler Spiloptila clamans, first record for Morocco was added by birders. The species was first observed and added to the Moroccan list by Pettersson et al. in February 2008 near Awserd region (in Thévenot & Bergier 2008). Subsequent visits to the region confirmed the observation.

Dark Chanting Goshawk Melierax metabates, even this species was not formally recorded as a breeder in the region of Dakhla - Awserd, Copete et al. (2008) provided indications of the species’ presence in the region.

Bergier P., Zadane Y. & Qninba A. 2009. Cape Gull: a new breeding species in the Western Palearctic. Birding World 22: 253-256.

Copete, J.L.; López, F.; López Velasco, D.; Castelló, J.; Armada, R. & Mariné, R. 2008. Breeding of Dunn’s Lark in Western Sahara. Alula 14: 132-137.

Lees, A.C. & Moores, R.D. 2006. Identification and status of Dunn’s Lark in northwest Africa. British Birds 99: 482-484.

Thévenot M. & Bergier P. 2008. Considérations sur les récentes découvertes avifaunistiques dans les environs d’Awserd (région d’Oued Ad-Deheb, Sahara Atlantique marocain). Go-South Bull. 5: 98-103.

By these examples I showed that birder’s records can be sometimes very important especially in the case of unexplored regions or unknown species. I posted this here only to stimulate birders to look and report the species. By this I thought I joined your petition (Petición de información) in the last page of your article. Can I send you a PM with my email, to send me the PDF? Because the one I have is of a scanned photos and is very heavy and difficult to read and thank you in advance.

Regards

Last edited:
Thank you very much Mohamed. I agree with you in the very good work that birdwatchers can do in bird study and conservation. Even many information about this species come from birwatchers. And I hope that with the information given in our publication many visitoprs to Morocco or south Spain can find new populations of buttonquails.

I only wanted to remember not to give excat sites in public forums and that many person during the hole breeding period trying to see this very very difficult bird can result in severe troubles for the correct reproduction.

I'm looking for the way to upload a pdf version of the article, any way, send me a privite mail with your email adress.

Thanks. Carlos

Interesting! If any of you have a photo of this species that you took yourself, can I ask that it be uploaded to the gallery here? it is a species that is missing in the gallery and the Opus page.

thanks
Niels

Great news! There were rumours circulating several years ago already that a small population was discovered in Morocco, but nothing more.

From that list, looks like a number of people caught up with Andulasian Hemipodes (great name, shame to lose it ;) ) in the spring of 2009 ...

I guess that the population which has been 're-discovered' will be under a certain amount of pressure from visiting birders ... conversely it could encourage others to 'self-find' their own in similar habitat in the region...

(And unrelated, off-topic I'm suprised to see how low down the list LGRE is on the overall WP list)

From that list, looks like a number of people caught up with Andulasian Hemipodes (great name, shame to lose it ;) ) in the spring of 2009 ...

I guess that the population which has been 're-discovered' will be under a certain amount of pressure from visiting birders ... conversely it could encourage others to 'self-find' their own in similar habitat in the region...

Hi,

As long as we don’t give the exact location of the site, I think that this would encourage birders to find the species for them, all we have to do is to search in right habitat.

Am I right in thinking that the small buttonquail of the Western Palearctic are a different taxa to those elsewhere in the world range? I also seem to remember that it was thought possible that Spanish Andalucian hemipode are/were a separate taxa again from the North African ones. Anyone know?

Yes, indeed, both European and North African are two separate subspecies.

Under the current trend, somebody could easily split them. I am sure that DNA difference would be enough, given sedentary nature of buttonquails and large distance across the Sahara to the main population.

But, somehow, North African species are overlooked. Both taxonomically and in conservation. :-C

I think also Dark Chanting Goshawk, Helmeted Guineafowl and several more species would be good candidates for a split from Afrotropical forms. Goshawk and Guineafowl are about extinct, btw.

Not sure that the population in Spain is extinct, lots of Donana isn't open to general birding and I know of at least one reliable sighting in modern times.

As for the Moroccan populations, there's nothing 'special' about the habitat of the area where many caught up with it on their WP lists in 2008/9 so I would like to think it could be more numerous than we actually know about.

AS for LGRE's low WPlist, this is because Netfugl insist on sighting details for rarities and Lee seems reluctant to supply them :)

Stew.

ps... please don't waste time asking for directions.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back