• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Kingfisher attempting to camouflage? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Last week on the coast in Cyprus, surprised both bird and moi! bird flew from promontory crag and disappeared around the bend (out of view) on the cliff face.

I thus tip-toed up to a vantage point whereupon the bird was revealed.

I'm aware that many species of invertebrate will attempt to camouflage themselves, however I hadn't really considered that birds, (apart from Nightjar and Woodcock etc. for nesting purposes) especially Halcyon might attempt the same. :eek!:

Thus finding it perched atop a piece of turquoise netting (if I might add...the only piece of ''camouflage'' that I could espy on the rock face...period.

Or was it just a complete coincidence, the latter I'm finding great difficulty reconciling?

Cheers

Attachments

• P1910185.jpeg   KF on blue 1..jpeg
    P1910185.jpeg KF on blue 1..jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 67
Maybe just a case of being attracted to a brilliant color so close in hue to its own (or to that of another kingfisher)?

Maybe just a case of being attracted to a brilliant color so close in hue to its own (or to that of another kingfisher)?

I've always fancied a good high resolution shot of Halcyon, perhaps a large turquoise bag over my person, with the necessary hole for a camera lens, might do the trick. :t:

I've always fancied a good high resolution shot of Halcyon, perhaps a large turquoise bag over my person, with the necessary hole for a camera lens, might do the trick. :t:

If it has misinterpreted the colour, you sure its not trying to shag it? Careful how you present in your big blue bag..... ;)

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back