• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

News from Leica (1 Viewer)

It is a very good binocular. Optically the same as the former 10 x 42 Ultravid and very rugged and compact.

Here is a test, with the conclusion that the Trinovid (model 2012-2015) has the same optical quality as the Ultravid 10 x 42 HD. And I agree with the test. I have observed through the Trinovid (I own one) and Ultravid HD and couldn't see any difference.

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2012highendbins/review.html

That's good to hear. In the review that Beth posted, the reviewer didn't think so. Here's what he had to say:

"If you’re looking for something like Leica’s last iteration of Trinovids, you might be disappointed. These Trinovids are an entirely different binocular from the ground up. The last Trinovids were essentially the same glass used in Leica’s premier Ultravid models in a less expensive wrapper. They also retailed at about 50% more than these new bins. The bins are still made in Europe (at Leica’s new plant in Portugal), but in order to get the price under $1000 Leica had to use lesser glass. It’s still high-quality and the binoculars are very good, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not as good as it was. But it’s also not as expensive."

New Trinny HD review

<B>

No that review Beth posted is about the new Trinovid HD. The reviewer is comparing the Trinovid HD with the last Trinovid.

The review I quote is about the "old" last Trinovid (version 2012-2015) and was published on may 2012. That's the Triovid I also have en which is optically the same as the Ultravid.

The old/last Trinovid, is, according to the review Beth posted, a better binocular than the new Trinovid HD.

Last edited:
I don't know whether the old one is really better even though the optics are technically better than in the new one. Most people will probably think that comparing those differences in the view caused by the changes in coatings will be a distinction without a difference, if they can even see them.

These are both modern, essentially new binoculars and the newest one has longer eye relief and virtually the same FOV and it is 2 or 3 ounces lighter in weight than the old one. These are differences easy to determine compared to seeing the fine distinctions in the changes in the coatings of the glass from the new one. It makes them easier for the average birder to use.

And the "new" diopter is really an old tried and true standard in the industry.

There is also something to talk about with the addition of a new "swaddling clothes" binocular case.;) And best of all it is about $500.00 cheaper!:t: Which is the real reason for the change!

Bob

Yes, sorry, didn't word that right. I meant that in the review that Beth posted, the reviewer didn't think the latest version (HD) was as good as the earlier non-HD version, meaning that the sale-priced $899 non-HD Trinovid would be better buy than the current $1099 HD version. If I could cough up the $899, I'd find out for myself, but all I'm getting up is phlegm from the double cheese pizza I had last night. ;)

I wonder how he knows the HD version doesn't use the same glass as the earlier model? Optics experts on BF use Abbe numbers to distinguish one glass type from the other. Even ED glass has different grades, so the ED glass used in the UV HD might not be the same quality as the ED glass in the Trinny HD, but optics manufacturers rarely reveal such detailed information about their products.

So, I wonder if the Leica rep he mentioned, Jeff Bouton, was on the trip with him and gave him this information? If not, then it's just one reviewer's opinion.

Brock

didn't think the latest version (HD) was as good as the earlier non-HD version

I read it as not intended as a review so much as a first impression, but I don't know who wrote the headline, which does say review.

While the glass is no longer the ultravid glass, probably, for some folks there's a chance that at least one configuration of the bin is now useable where in the past none were likely to work.

My understanding of the recently departed trinovid line is that it has relatively low values for eye relief, so it's a challenge with glasses, and not a lot of focus past infinity so for some of us quite literally we'd need surgery to use it.

This may be why until recently seeing trinovids in person has been a very long drive where I live, unless I run into someone with a pair out at the shore. Which, come to think of it, I can't recall having done.

I'm hoping the Audobon Ranch is open this spring. That's a fun place to hang out and ask to look through folks' binoculars.

Last edited:
That's good to hear. In the review that Beth posted, the reviewer didn't think so. Here's what he had to say:

"If you’re looking for something like Leica’s last iteration of Trinovids, you might be disappointed. These Trinovids are an entirely different binocular from the ground up. The last Trinovids were essentially the same glass used in Leica’s premier Ultravid models in a less expensive wrapper. They also retailed at about 50% more than these new bins. The bins are still made in Europe (at Leica’s new plant in Portugal), but in order to get the price under $1000 Leica had to use lesser glass. It’s still high-quality and the binoculars are very good, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not as good as it was. But it’s also not as expensive."

New Trinny HD review

One of the reviewers in the German forum comes to a totally different opinion, he prefers the new Trinovid: http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,430056 Most people here will need the Google Translator to read the review though.

Hermann

Yes I have read this review (I can read and speak German). But what does he mean with "older Trinovid". I believe the version made for 2007. This version had straylight and some spikes. The Trinovid I have (version 2012) has no straylight at all. And even on the most brightest object no spikes. I Have tested this in a dark room with a very bright led lamp and the Trinovid didn't have any spikes.

Yes I have read this review (I can read and speak German). But what does he mean with "older Trinovid".

He means the version you have. He's a very critical oserver who's got several top class binoculars.

By the way, his observations are quite close to what I saw when I had a chance to compare both versions. The "old" Trinovid is good, the new version is a bit better still.

Hermann

Thanks fot your reply, Hermann. Hopefully I get a chance to compare the Trinovid HD with my Trinovid 10 x 42.

But the first review of the Trinovid HD, looks good. And they are, like the old Trinovid, completely made in the Leica factory in Portugal.

Last edited:
eye relief is not everthing , the ultravid's have enough eye relief for me .

You are right PM eye relief isn't everything.
Its eye relief.
And for some folks its an important issue.
Of course the design of the eyecup has to place your eye in the right position too, but this quality isn't listed in specifications so folks have to start with the quoted eye relief.

We are all glad to hear that Ultravids have enough eye relief for you and they do for many other people too, my wife being one of them and Gilmore Girl on these pages is another. For those who find Ultravid doesn't quite have enough eye relief, Vespobuteo's little news posting may be quite interesting.

Lee

Yes I have read this review (I can read and speak German). But what does he mean with "older Trinovid". I believe the version made for 2007. This version had straylight and some spikes. The Trinovid I have (version 2012) has no straylight at all. And even on the most brightest object no spikes. I Have tested this in a dark room with a very bright led lamp and the Trinovid didn't have any spikes.

It sounds like he means to be comparing throughout with the most recent "older" model, from 2012. But I also have this one and agree that it has no problem with stray light or spikes. It's curious. He says the new HD's pupils don't have quite as black a background as the older ones, which suggests it's the one that might have issues of this sort, so maybe he wrote this backwards. It stands to reason that a glass costing $500 less might not be quite as well baffled etc.

One of the reviewers in the German forum comes to a totally different opinion, he prefers the new Trinovid: http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,430056 Most people here will need the Google Translator to read the review though.

Hermann

Herman:

Thanks for the link to that review of the new Leica Trinovid.

I am unable to translate it however, so I am wondering if someone could
offer a translation in English.

Thanks. Jerry

He says the new HD's pupils don't have quite as black a background as the older ones, which suggests it's the one that might have issues of this sort, so maybe he wrote this backwards. It stands to reason that a glass costing $500 less might not be quite as well baffled etc.

Having read quite a few of his reviews I'm quite sure he doesn't have that backwards. The price difference is from what I heard mainly due to the much simpler and easier to manufacture dioptre adjustment mechanism. At least that's what the Leica people told me, and I think that makes perfect sense.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back