• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jack Daw (1 Viewer)

Wanted to share my gladness with you over the fact that two weeks ago a Jackdaw appeared in the shrubbery with a badly torn wing, but it was not broken.
I have an aviary with several cages and boxes inside, for the care not capture of sick birds.
Clipped the broken feathers from Jack's wing to prevent further damage, and after a wobbly couple odfdays he is now thriving. Can half fly up to the topmost roosting box and is eating well. I think he will soon be strong enough to be released. Although he does not like me entering the aviary to feed and water him, he just hides in a box and peeps out at me, he does not madly dash about with fear.

Great news, let's hope you can release him soon. I think they're great birds - got 3 at the moment; they only ever appear during the breeding season, then I don't see sight nor sound of them after that.

jackdaw

helenol said:
Great news, let's hope you can release him soon. I think they're great birds - got 3 at the moment; they only ever appear during the breeding season, then I don't see sight nor sound of them after that.
Thanks for being interested Helen, will let you know when I release him
Marian

Me too, I love them. I looked after one not long ago too, which recovered nicely. We have them in plague proportions here! (Generally about 40 - 50 in the garden when I put food out. They nest in just about every roof or chimney on every street, so there are huge piles of sticks littering the pavements!) I like them though, they're handsome, intelligent birds.

I love Jackdaws too! Added them to the garden list this weekend - 3 of them!

Hope all goes well with your injured bird Marian.

I love Jackdaws especially there call unfornunatley i dont get them in my garden but there common at school on the field

Some of the Jackdaws going over the garden. They gather in immense flocks in the evening before roosting as well, numbering several hundred birds.

Attachments

• jackdawsflock.jpg
    jackdawsflock.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 132
Great photo White Kite. Looks like a still from Hitchcock's "The Birds"! What else do you see in and around Brecon? I remember being amazed by the number of Rooks in the Cathedral grounds and the noise they were making.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back