• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (41 Viewers)

Reasonable arrival of things at Titchwell today.
Male ring ouzel at Thornham Point, 54 black tailed godwits, 3 greenshank and common sand. Good movement of carrion crows this morning with over 50 west in a couple of hours and a load of passerines moving offshore.

Paul

Tim Allwood said:
4 Rouzels in the south of the village still tonight

not much at Horsey but the beer was nice in the Nelson's

Tim

Welcome back Tim, hope you had an exciting expedition.

Nice to come back to Ring Ouzels!

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

Connor Rand said:
Damn school!!!!!! Hooded Crow, Holme NOA today headed in of the sea + south.

Connor

Damn work!!!!!!!! too Connor!!!!!!!

See you about Saturday maybe, quite a high tide this Saturday morning at 9.43am.

Hi all
just a little walk round Hempton last night.

Sparrow hawk, willow/marsh tit, chaffinch's in abundance, grat and blue tits, jay, crow, wren, robin. blackbird.

Roe deer (doe) on the marsh.

hope this is what you all want or do on bf it look that way to me .
Barry.

As I was on duty in the school playground today it was lovely to see 2 House Martins back inspecting last year's nests. We must have one of the biggest colonies around these parts. Later at home I was putting together a new hammock and heard a familiar sound, looking up, my neighbours House Martins were also zipping around. Welcome back Martins!
Sue

hi Tim, sounds if you having more fun than me, if you read my post you'll see i'm not too happy, if you ever come to the Fens i would say keep driving as fast as you can and don't look back, if you looking for birds come for the non feathered variety, the only place is welney wash buts thats not for me, nearest place for me to try and see birsd and other wildlife is Sandringham but thats a 68 mile round trip, this year we have seen 1 song thrush very sad, haven't seen a bullfinch for 15 years, something is very wrong here, i love photogarphy but trying for stunning photos and good close ups is real pain and just makes me want to give up trying, anyway sod the Fens, Norfolk to stunning places are Lyng with that out of this world wierpool and lake a world away from here, and lovely walk is at Weybourne, start at the station into Sheringham park down to the beach past the windmill to the Tank museum along a small path back to Kelling heath caravan park and back to the station its about 5 miles, very nice, all the best regards carl

HarassedDad said:
Bit off topic, but this guy seems to have found some sites round your way:
http://toadsnatcher.blogspot.com/

hi, theres a small problem with off topic thread, tim lives a long way from here, what i'm on about is that the fens has no where to go and look at any wildlife other than welney wash but who wants to go to the same place each week, here if you want to go for a walk its down the road on a path, theres no off road, to walk the dog we have to go to Kings Lynn, a 44 mile round trip, if you don't believe me i would love to take any 1 on a tour of this lifeless place, i do appreciate that there is some very pretty places in Norfolk with wildlife to see and photograph I go to Bawsey, Thetford forest and Lyng, but these are all places that i have to travel to and its not the fens, the Fens on their own have very little to attract, conservation projects are helping and much time and effort is put into them, but they cannot replace natural habbitats.

First swifts of the year

Three first thing this morning at Little Eye, Salthouse but missed the r/ouzel there. Also many Sandwich Terns and a couple of flyover yellow wags.

14 Rouzels now in the village

Peregrine at Waxham, Gropper, Wheatear and a few wags

Barn Cafe now open. Tea and cakes delicious.

and loads of Rouzels (19) reported between Nelson Head and Winterton. Gonna take a walk down there after a swift pint later.

Tim

Last edited:
Rush Hill Saturday

garganey
greenshanks
common terns
swifts
3 x hirundines
reed, sedge, Cetti's warblers
crane
marsh harriers
plenty of ruff, blackwits, avocets, dunlin and ringed plovers
wheatear

Buckenham marsh

American wigeon
ring ouzel
yellow wags
little ringed plover
garganey
whitethroat
wheatear

Gordon

Tim Allwood said:
and loads of Rouzels (19) reported between Nelson Head and Winterton

Tim

Had a look at 4 near Sea Palling earlier on - in the horse paddock with a black gate, by the holiday apartments. Nice

2 Cranes in the tussocky field, 200 metres south of Horsey mill.

Today at Holme had 1 yellow wagtail, 3 pied wagtails, swallows, housemartins and sandmartins, at least 2 lesser whitethroats, 1 red breasted merganser, sandwich tern, 2 sedge warblers, 1 cuckoo seen and heard (my first this year), at least 9 ring ouzels (more than this, lost count!), 1 female blackcap, kestrel, lots of linnets, goldfinches, chiffchaff, long tailed tits, stunning male Whinchat (my first this year) at 1.30pm, grasshopper warbler, short eared owl, tawny owl sitting in pines - beautiful!, 3 little egrets on broad water, shelduck, pochard, gadwall, grey heron, 1 sparrowhawk, lapwings, 1 greenshank, 6 curlew, 2 goldcrests, 1 carrion crow, greenfinches, 4 housesparrows, peacock butterfly, green veined white, red admiral, 10 x small coppers, 6 speckled woods. Beautiful day, lots of birds and birders.

Penny Clarke said:
at least 9 ring ouzels (more than this, lost count!),

Oh thats just showing off ;)

Seriously, sounds like a great day.

Can anyone be a bit more specific about the location of the Ring Ouzel at Buckenham?, might get the chance for this one monday sometime.

Matt

was at Buckenham from 12.30-2.30 and did not see any ouzels! they had been reported to the left of the track just before the fishermans carpark. The Am Wigeon was distant and asleep, but did have my first reed warbler and swifts (plus an exceptionally nice male reeve's pheasant!)

Rouzels

Connor Rand said:
Had some good stuff at Home NOA including 10 Swift, 22 Rouzels etc. see www.noa.org.uk

Connor

Yeah great day at Holme today, I can also add a single Turtle Dove west to the list of new migrants, went back in the dunes in the evening after most had left just 2-3 birders around. Managed to get some shots of the Ousels & Wheatears, will post when these are on-line.

I am sure there was a good number more than my maximum count of 8 Ousels together, and clearly some birds went "through", but just so nobody is mislead, I don't think there was ever 22 Ousels on the ground all at one time, some birders were turning up & expecting to see 22 Ousels running around together!!

I stood at Gore Pt for the first 1.5 hrs after dawn and, had over 100 Swallows west, 50 Goldfinch west, 10 Swift west, 3 Tree Pipits west, 1 Tree Sparrow west, 2 Greenshank over, 18 Yellow Wag west, 5 sand Martin west, 12 House Martin west. The dunes & paddocks produced 3 Groppers, 1 Firecrest (singing early on), later on two high flocks of Curlew in "vee" totalling 70+ birds interestingly these were going east, a single Green Sand on Redwell marsh.

Last off 50 Black wits came into roost, and the Short-eared was hunting the dunes, although light was "gone" for pics.

Day off today after 14 hrs in the field yesterday - best of luck to those out hunting today!!

Chris

still lots of Rouzels around here

walked down to Horsey and saw several again along with a dozen wheatears, groppers, fieldfares etc and a couple of cranes.

just had eight Cranes go over the back garden while i was enjoying my coffee and croissants

Had a Turtle Dove south west at Heacham south beach this afternoon + 2 male Ring Ouzles, 2 Yellow Wagtails west, 3 Wheatears, 1 Sedge Warbler and 1 Cuckoo.

Quite a few reports of presumably the same Black Kite in the Sheringham area + the presumed Iberian Chiffchaff is still singing at Colney today.

Connor

Connor Rand said:
Had a Turtle Dove south west at Heacham south beach this afternoon + 2 male Ring Ouzles, 2 Yellow Wagtails west, 3 Wheatears, 1 Sedge Warbler and 1 Cuckoo.

Quite a few reports of presumably the same Black Kite in the Sheringham area + the presumed Iberian Chiffchaff is still singing at Colney today.

Connor

Hey well done Connor - didn't miss too much at Carrow rd!!

Okay let's take bets on where this Kite's going to get seen next, how about Ryburgh or Swanton Novers or maybe it just turned round and is just heading south ??

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back