• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown bird of prey (Slovakia) (1 Viewer)

Carpathian Ed

Hi. This one is from a couple of years back (2017) but I'm still unsure on identification. I took it while on our regular evening walk in NE Slovakia. It's a fairly large bird of prey. Sorry the photo isn't better (story of my life...). I'm presuming it's a Saker Falcon. It's the only one I've ever seen here.

Attachments

• birdofprey.jpg
    birdofprey.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 107
Hi Daniel
I hadn't even considered that but after looking at images on Google it's a very likely possibility - the bird was quite large. What led me to the Saker falcon conclusion was the faint downward stripe from the inner eye as seen in most falcons.
I've just read this on it also - https://www.researchgate.net/public...o_rufinus_in_Slovakia_in_the_past_and_present.
We have such an immensely diverse population of birds and animals native to the area, plus we get every species crossing north-south and east-west, so it's often quite hard to identify species when there are just minute deviations in colour, size, etc.
I'd say good call that man!

Hi Daniel
I hadn't even considered that but after looking at images on Google it's a very likely possibility - the bird was quite large. What led me to the Saker falcon conclusion was the faint downward stripe from the inner eye as seen in most falcons.
I've just read this on it also - https://www.researchgate.net/public...o_rufinus_in_Slovakia_in_the_past_and_present.
We have such an immensely diverse population of birds and animals native to the area, plus we get every species crossing north-south and east-west, so it's often quite hard to identify species when there are just minute deviations in colour, size, etc.
I'd say good call that man!

No problem, though I must agree with The Fern and Tom - Common buzzard can't be ruled out from this image - I've seen a few cream/buff individuals in the UK which were almost approaching Long legged in terms of colouration.
It sounds wonderful, you are lucky to live in such a beautiful country with such a variety of birds and habitats!

we'll stick with buteo :)
Buzzards are ten a penny here, which is why this one confused me greatly as I've never seen one like it - it doesn't resemble anything local.
I'm a firm believer that if a bird can't be completely identified and have supporting photographic evidence then it might as well have been a unicorn....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back