• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

need your expert advise (1 Viewer)

please advise me if its possible to connect my Canon D5 & D10 to a digiscope , if so what is the equipment I need.

If its not feasable what spotting scope would you suggest would be best suited for the Indian Himalayas reliablity and quality would be my preference.

Thank you

yes it is possible to connect your DSLRs to a spotting scope, though personally I wouldn't recommend it. There are two ways of doing it:

1. buy a Canon 50 f1.8 lens and 'hold' this to the eyepeice of the scope - ths can work fairly well and can give reasonably high magnifications.

2. buy an adapter to directlty attach your dslr to the scope, the adapter replaces the scope eyepeice and the camera lens.

I have tried both of these systems and don't think much of either - method 1 will give higher magnifications, but is a bit harder to get results. Method 2 is lower mag, I find it gives better results, but it is fiddly to switch between viewing and photographing. If you do decide to try one of these make sure you use a good quality scope with a large OG, or you will really struggle.

Swarovski has an adaptor (DCA) that connects to the 50mm lens. It slides on and off the eyepiece and would be more stable than just holding the camera to the scope. This also allows all the automatic features of the camera to be used. An expensive solution to be sure.

thanks for the advise .

postcardcv said:
yes it is possible to connect your DSLRs to a spotting scope, though personally I wouldn't recommend it. There are two ways of doing it:

1. buy a Canon 50 f1.8 lens and 'hold' this to the eyepeice of the scope - ths can work fairly well and can give reasonably high magnifications.

2. buy an adapter to directlty attach your dslr to the scope, the adapter replaces the scope eyepeice and the camera lens.

I have tried both of these systems and don't think much of either - method 1 will give higher magnifications, but is a bit harder to get results. Method 2 is lower mag, I find it gives better results, but it is fiddly to switch between viewing and photographing. If you do decide to try one of these make sure you use a good quality scope with a large OG, or you will really struggle.

thanks for the advise, seems like it makes sense to buy a regular spotting scope.

stbear said:
Swarovski has an adaptor (DCA) that connects to the 50mm lens. It slides on and off the eyepiece and would be more stable than just holding the camera to the scope. This also allows all the automatic features of the camera to be used. An expensive solution to be sure.

Thanks for your advise.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back