• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuba and Cayo Coco (1 Viewer)

ScottishBirder

THE HUNGRY BIRDER
Hi there, I am traveling to Cayo Coco in January for three weeks on a romantic break. Whilst my wife is doing that I would like to do some birding. Can anyone give me the name and details of a local guide or details of sites etc. Also any help on hiring a car and places to visit, basically anything that would help. Staying at Cayo Coco but would like to go further a field with a guide.
Thanks in advance

Paulino is the name I remember, the Thomas Cook rep at the hotel we stayed at knew all about him. He lives in Moron and will come to pick you up at your hotel.

David

Cuba bird guide

Hi
I have been to Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo twice in the last three years and have used Paulino on both occasions, very good guide and a must to get the more difficult species on the mainland.
The birding around the hotel zones is also very good especially the grounds of the Melia Cayo Coco. You can wonder around yourself and will not be pestered or bothered by anyone as only the staff/ workers are allowed on the islands.
Best to book Paulino in advance as he gets busy with groups also you will be travelling in his 1954 cheverolet Belair.

His details are,

Paulino Lopez Delgado
Cell phone 53-52673207
Home phone 53-33-520277

Hope this is helpful

Darren.

I just returned from Cuba. It is on the opposite side of the island from Coco but the Zapata Swamp is a great place for birding if you can get there. I saw the Bee Hummingbird, three species of owls and lots of other birds.

If you are just birdwatching on the Cayos you should be able to manage on your own armed with the Helm guide.
You don't even need a car-there is a hop on hop off bus between Guillermo and Coco.
Get off as soon as you land on Guillermo near the bridge by the dolphin place.The most productive lagoons were here just west of the bridge.If you carry on walking east all the lagoons had something of interest on either side of the road.
When you see the tacky old power station on your left head for the next track inland on your right.This takes you to the west of the Sol Cayo Guillermo Lagoon.This can be viewed by turning right as it skirts the northern edge-it was one of the best lagoons on the island.
Take plenty of insect repellent!

Stayed from 5/4/2013 to 12/4/2013
Copy of my report

Cayo Guillermo
A small island only 18 square kilometres but around 85% is mangrove forest,lagoons and swamps.
There are just 4 hotels on the island.

The Sol Cayo Guillermo Hotel

A typical Cuban AI hotel well landscaped with 1000's of plants and trees.
It borders a huge mangrove lagoon and also the sea and beach.
Great food and drinks package and a pleasant friendly atmosphere.

Getting around.
An open top bus plies it's trade between Cayo Coco across the causeway ,past all the Cayo Guillermo hotels to the end of the island at Playa Pilar.
Return costs are $5 return.

Otherwise you can easily walk to any of the places I have mentioned apart from Playa Pilar.

Playa Pilar
A dream Carribean beach at the western end of the island.
From the bus stop and car park head west to Zona La Punta an idyllic area far from the sunbeds.
The star bird was a Black Skimmer sitting with the Laughing Gulls at Zona La Punta..
I didn't expect to see it as it was described as both rarity and nocturnal.

At Zona La Punta I saw 2 Frigate Birds, Great Blue Heron.Great Egret,Snowy Egret,Little Blue Heron,White Ibis,10 Royal Tern,Double Crested Cormorant,Spotted Sandpiper and several Pelican..
A flowering cactus attracted 3 Cuban Emerald,a Cape May Warbler,a Parula and a Prairie Warbler.If you see a flowering cactus its well worth having a good look.

Along the sandy track to Zona La Punta an Eastern Wood Pewee appeared along with a Crescent Eyed Pewee..
The area around the car park and boardwalk was great for birds.
They included 4 grounded Turkey Vulture,Northern Parula,Prairie Warbler,Common Yellowthroat,Cuban Emerald.Gray Kingbird,Greater Antillean Grackle,Crescent Eyed Pewee,Northern Mockingbird,Zenaida Dove and my first Cuban Bullfinch.

The Punta Playuela Track

Every time a took this walk something new turned up.
From the northern path along the Sol Cayo Guillermo lagoon keep on going north west keeping the sea to your right.

Just before you reach the deserted beach there is a rough track to your left marked by a wind blown wooden parasol.
This track soon comes to a dead end but it was a great little area for birds.
After pishing about a little,a Gray Catbird appeared momentarily.this was my 650 lifer so another milestone passed.
My first and only Cuban Gnatcatcher was here along with an Oriente Warbler which was my sole sighting.
There was also an American Redstart among the coastal scrub as well as the common Prairie Warbler and Palm Warbler.
Two White Winged Dove were always about along with some Mourning Dove.Two American Oystercatcher were on the rocks before the beach.
The seaweed strewn beach was wonderful.
The All Inclusive crowd seldom ventured this far and we usually had the beach to ourselves.
The main attraction were two Piping Plover which were not only supposed to be rare but also endangered.They were here every day with two Wilson's Plover.Other birds seen here were several Turnstone,a Spotted Sandpiper and 3 Sanderling.A Red Breasted Merganser put in a cameo appearance one morning.There was a Semipalmated Plover present on one morning,
Common Blackhawk was regular along with,Turkey Vulture,Pelican, Royal Tern and Laughing Gull.

The Cayo Guillermo Lagoons
As you enter the Cayo there are lagoons on both sides of the road all the way to Playa Pliar about 8 kilometres away.
The big attraction was Flamingo Lagoon ,the second lagoon on your right as you head west.
There were at least 50 Flamingos most days.
The rest of the lagoon and muddy edges was teeming with birds including,Great Egret,White Ibis,Tri Coloured Heron,Green Heron,scores of Least Sandpiper,as well as Lesser Yellow Leg,Short Billed Dowitcher,Willet,Stilt Sandpiper,Black Bellied Plover, two Semiplamated Sandpiper, Killdeer,Blue Winged Teal,Common Moorhen,Barn Swallow, and Laughing Gull.
The usual Common Blackhawk was seen and a Crested Caracas was reported to be further down the road one day.
A Palm Warbler and Yellow Warbler were seen in the bushes
I saw an American Crow one morning which surprised me since it wasn't even mentioned in the Helm Guide.
All the lagoons were worth checking as the situation changed from day to day.

The Sol Cayo Guillermo Hotel Lagoon

This was the last productive lagoon as you travel west.
It is the only one not viewable from the main road but the public can access the northern track.
Just turn right past the power station and take the sandy track till you turn right to walk along the northern track.
All the birds mentioned can be seen from this area or anywhere from the hotel grounds where they meet the lagoon.
Sadly the hotel removed the resident crocodile in case it went all inclusive and ate a guest.
Health and Safety gone mad if you ask me.

It was the only lagoon where I saw the Roseate Spoonbill.

I recorded- Flamingo,Roseate Spoonbill[6 maximum].Green Heron,Snowy Egret,
White Ibis,Little Blue Heron,Reddish Egret,Stilt Sandpiper,Cattle Egret,Great Blue Heron,Killdeer,Least Sandpiper[maximum6]Semipalmated Plover,Turnstone,Spotted Sandpiper,Royal Tern[10 maximum] Frigatebird,Double Crested Cormorant,Laughing Gull,Turkey Vulture,Common Blackhawk,

The Sol Cayo Guillermo Hotel Grounds

The four hotels on the island a very similar.
There were lots of plants,trees and lawned areas as well as the extensive beach area.
Apart from the birds in the abovementioned Sol Cayo Guillermo Hotel lagoon I spotted the following from the rest of the hotel-
Laughing Gull,Ring Billed Gull,Frigate Bird,Pelican,Turkey Vulture,Common Blackhawk,Cuban Green Woodpecker,Crescent Eyed Pewee, Cuban Emerald,Prairie Warbler,Northern Perula,Common Yellowthroat,Palm Warbler,Cape May Warbler,Mockingbird,American Redstart,White Winged Dove,Ground Dove,Mourning Dove,Eleinda Dove,Greater Antillean Grackle,American Kestrel,Collared Dove,Loggerhead Kingbird, Northern Waterthrush,House Sparrow

Last edited:
This was a great help thank you very much, could I ask if you could email me your report to [email protected]. I will use it for my start on the island. Cheers

Will do!
Hope you have a great time.
Cayo Coco is a good location as there are more wooded areas there.
The hop on hop off bus was very reliable when we were there.
It ran to a two hourly timetable which is pinned up outside all the big hotels.
It stops off at all the big hotels every day,all day.
If you get off at the Dolphin Show place just as the bus enters Cayo Guillermo you will find enough good birdwatching within a mile of the bus stop.The lagoons start there and you can take a walk down the roads leading to each hotel.They are well landscaped so there are lots of bushes,trees and plants which attract warblers and other birds.

The road is not busy so you can walk down it without fear of being knocked down.The lagoons are on each side of the road.
If you work out the timetable you could get off at the Dolphin show place and work your way to the Sol Cayo Guillermo lagoon.There is a great viewing track running alongside the northern edge parallel to the beach which you access by taking the dirt track right just after the tacky old power station.
You can then access the beach,walk through the Sol Cayo Guillermo grounds to their main entrance-then catch the bus back.
The bus goes to Playa Pilar - then a beach from paradise.
Unfortunately since our visit they have built a hotel I believe.
Judging by the new hotel location however I reckon the walk to Zona La Punta might still be unspoilt.-see my report.
It was the only place I saw Frigate birds as well as a Black Skimmer.There were a lot of other good birds there too.[the only place I saw a Cuban Bullfinch]
If you enjoy Cayo Coco I can recommend Guardalavaca.We stayed at the Luna Y Mares.The Luna side of the hotel is really nice and you can generally wangle a room on that side of the hotel.The Mares side is a bit of a mare!-noisy,crumbling and in need of a lick of paint.
The birdwatching is great all within walking distance of the hotel.
I can't emphasise enough the importance of insect spray.We came back with skin complexions resembling a pizza topping.

Last edited:
Thanks, i got 50% and 100% Deet sprays. I booked a guide for two days at £100 a day which i thought was expensive but he said January ok for mosquitos. I will be prepared and probably find most birds myself but the guide is for specialities even though it is way more than i normally pay for a guide.

Thanks, i got 50% and 100% Deet sprays. I booked a guide for two days at £100 a day which i thought was expensive but he said January ok for mosquitos. I will be prepared and probably find most birds myself but the guide is for specialities even though it is way more than i normally pay for a guide.

Sounds good.He may take you to the mainland where you should see even more birds.
If you get the chance go on xeno-canto[the bird sounds website] and listen to the repetitive Black-whiskered Vireo, the 'machine gun' sound of the Cuba Tody and the ascending ka,ka.ka.ka.ka... of the Hispanolian Lizard Cuckoo.
Very useful if there are any woodlands near your hotel.
The Cuban Tody is actually very easy to spot.Listen out for its call,stop in the vicinity and chances are,one or two will appear at eye level very nearby.Not sure why but they always appeared at that height every time I saw one!
The Viroe just never shuts up-it will drive you mad.
I didn't actually see the Cuckoo but I heard them many times.

Last edited:
A Big Thank You

Just a quick thank you to all who replied to my post, it was a great trip with 139 species found. I hired the guide Paulino to find the species that would have taken a long time for me myself like Thick-billed Vireo and Cuban Pygmy Owl which he found for me. The rest myself on a quad bike and then by car to Zapata etc. Great time , great place.

Cant wait to return .

Just a quick thank you to all who replied to my post, it was a great trip with 139 species found. I hired the guide Paulino to find the species that would have taken a long time for me myself like Thick-billed Vireo and Cuban Pygmy Owl which he found for me. The rest myself on a quad bike and then by car to Zapata etc. Great time , great place.

Cant wait to return .
Glad to hear you had a good holiday.
If you want any info on Guardalavaca,let me know.
After our wonderful holiday on Guillermo we went to the Sol Luna Y Mares with Thomas Cook.
It is situated in a great spot for birdwatching on the doorstep.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back