• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sdl v2 vs hdf (1 Viewer)

Gzoladz74

Hello all,

I am researching to buy my first scope. I am leaning towards an mm3 x 60 but I am not entirely sure about the eyepiece.

Both the dsl v2 and the hdf seem to be the ideal for this scope but I cannot figure out the main differences between both, other than small differences in the fov.

Appreciate if anybody can help me with this.

Thanks,
G

PS: FrankD, amazing digiscopping videos. Thanks for sharing those.

Hi G,

The Sdl v2 is waterproof the Hdf is not, I believe it also has a field flattener, mine is certainly sharp to the edge.

John.

I use the SDL V2, though not on an Opticron scope, and I find it pretty good. The field of view dose vary a fair bit as you zoom but it's pretty sharp and more than adequate for my uses. If that sounds a little negative it is not intended to be! I have only directly compared it to top Zeiss and Kowa scopes/eyepieces and whist it is not as good it is FAR from shabby. The eyepieces for these scopes are double the cost - let alone the price difference in the scopes themselves!

Are you looking at the MM3 because of price or size? The reason I ask is that I bought an old (but brand new) Kowa TSN4 Prominar (the Flourite one) idiotically cheap. Whist it is not compact it was a surprisingly good combination and the TSN3 (angled version) and TSN4 (straight) scopes can be bought at very reasonable prices these days. A number of the Opticron eyepieces will fit, and focus, on theses scopes with the addition of a simple spacer such as a Neoprene O Ring. The combination of the Kowa TSN4 (or TSN3) and Opticron SDL V2 functions well and superior to the 80mm Opticron we compared it with. These Kowa's may be old but they were the very top of what was available a while ago, they were introduced in 1986.
Just food for thought?

Thanks for the answers.

John, both. The reason why I never got a scope is primarily that I didn't want to carry another item. But in some ocassions I really wish I had one.

I was first looking at the 70/80mm size but when I tested a few vs the MM2, the size put me off a bit, and while I was doing some further research on the mm2 I learnt aboit the mm3, model that I had ignored.

I will research the Kowa line. I am tending to stick with Opticron because I am happy with the experience with the experience I have with the binocs I got from them, as they offeredvery good quality for a reasonable price. But I do look sideways and have been looking at the Nikon ed50 and some Bushnells, but not the Kowas.

Thanks
G

Gzoladz,

Glad you enjoyed them. I had a lot of fun putting them together. Been having a bit harder time with getting as many lately with the time of the year, weather, etc.... But hopefully that will change soon.

I think the others already keyed in on the differences between the two zooms. I actually preferred the HDF on both of the MM3 models surprisingly. In retrospect I can't say exactly why. Will have to give it some thought. I tend to use the 50 mm with just the HDF 18x wide angle as I am always trying to digiscope. Good luck with whichever one you choose. None of them are really a bad choice. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers.

John, both. The reason why I never got a scope is primarily that I didn't want to carry another item. But in some ocassions I really wish I had one.

I was first looking at the 70/80mm size but when I tested a few vs the MM2, the size put me off a bit, and while I was doing some further research on the mm2 I learnt aboit the mm3, model that I had ignored.

I will research the Kowa line. I am tending to stick with Opticron because I am happy with the experience with the experience I have with the binocs I got from them, as they offeredvery good quality for a reasonable price. But I do look sideways and have been looking at the Nikon ed50 and some Bushnells, but not the Kowas.

Thanks
G

I have the MM2 myself and it is stupidly light! I wasn't sure why you were looking at the MM3 but given your requirements it looks like a good choice. My Kowa would definitely be out of the question for your uses. I find that the Kowa + a head and a large heavy tripod light to carry - but then I am normally struggling under 40 to 50lbs (18 to 23 kilos) of photography gear!
Anyway the SDL V2 eyepiece is pretty good for the money.
All the best.

FrankD, thanks, looking forward not your next videos! And thanks John for sharing your experience.

It is with me now to finish convincing myself that I need a scope :) I reallly wished I had one 2 weeks ago during an outing along the sea, but I went out yesterday to the woods and in a group of 20 there were just 2 scopes, that were hardly used. I suppose it is all down to each situation.

It is a pity that Opticron don't stock them in Ireland as if I could try it it will probably sell it to me.

You are correct in saying that forest birding rarely needs a scope, while some open land birding definitely are improved when you have a scope: shorebirds on mud flats and raptors on migration being two of my biggies (seabirds from shore a third one).

Niels

FrankD, thanks, looking forward not your next videos! And thanks John for sharing your experience.

It is with me now to finish convincing myself that I need a scope :) I reallly wished I had one 2 weeks ago during an outing along the sea, but I went out yesterday to the woods and in a group of 20 there were just 2 scopes, that were hardly used. I suppose it is all down to each situation.

It is a pity that Opticron don't stock them in Ireland as if I could try it it will probably sell it to me.

PM Sent

Chris Galvin
Opticron

I reallly wished I had one 2 weeks ago during an outing along the sea, but I went out yesterday to the woods and in a group of 20 there were just 2 scopes, that were hardly used. I suppose it is all down to each situation.

I tend to agree with both your and NJ's comments when it comes to scopes and forest birding....to an extent. However, I think it depends on the scope and the setup. What I have started doing is using the MM3 50 mm with the 18x wide angle (or you could use the 13x wide angle for an even easier alternative) mounted on an ultralightweight shoulder stock. The stock has a sling attached to it and I carry it over my shoulder. Works perfectly in that type of situation because of the relatively low magnification and wide field of view.

I have even taken it a step further by doing digiscoping (phonescoping) in this manner. Pictures came out much better than expected. I will illustrate both a close-up pic and a long distance pic below. Both handheld with the scope.

The Mute Swan was only about 10 yards away while the Canada Goose/Mallard mix was well over 200. Cropped of course.

Attachments

• ms.jpg
    ms.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 289
  • cg1.jpg
    cg1.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Hello Frank,

what make/model of ultralightweight shoulder stock do you use. I have a Cullman but it's not particularly light nor particularly comfortable in use so I'm thinking of upgrading.

Best wishes
BS

Back on the original question, I have also been looking at this scope and recently had the opportunity to compare the two eyepieces.

The SDL lens had, in my opinion, a much sharper image and easier view. It was also somewhat brighter in the rather dingy November light. I could pick out plumage detail on a Gadwall more clearly. I would say that the improved optical quality is easily worth the price difference.

For me the biggest difference is that the SDL is parfocal on this scope, by which I mean that once you are focused on a target you can zoom in and out without having to refocus. The HDF eyepiece required re-focusing each time I changed the magnification, which to me is a deal-breaker and I'd go with a fixed eyepiece in preference.

The SDL's size and weight is the only downside I could find. The guy from Opticron said some people don't like the way it looks attached to the scope (too bulky and doesn't look like it was made for it) but that doesn't worry me. I did however find that mounted on the Velbon tripod head (probably the ever-popular PH-157Q?) the MM3 + SL2 combo was very tail-heavy and the scope would fall backwards if I wasn't careful. I don't know if there's a way to balance the scope better, or whether this would be less annoying on a head such as the Manfrotto 128RC2 with separate screws for panning and tilting. The scope was perfectly balanced with the HDF eyepiece.

The manfrotto 128 would be overkill with a mm3 in my humble opinion. Any manfrotto head half that weight should be able to do the job.

Niels

The manfrotto 128 would be overkill with a mm3 in my humble opinion. Any manfrotto head half that weight should be able to do the job.

You're right; I only mention it in particular because it's the head I currently have so it's very familiar, but the point is that I didn't like the MM3 + SDL combination on the PH-157Q head that is the default choice for (and often bundled with) this scope.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has mounted this scope/eyepiece combination on a very light head without it being tail-heavy.

Hello

Chris has very kindly sent a test unit to my local shop so I went today to play with it. I got to try the mm3 x 60 with both eyepieces for a few minutes.

Unfortunately today was too bright in Dublin, not ideal for testing, but when I pointed it to a dark area I found the DSL v2 a bit brighter than the hdf. Now part of this could be perception and results may be different if I test it again.

Although the DSL is effectively larger, I did not find that it is not made for that scope at all, as mentioned to Sandgrounder by a seller.

Anyway, at the end I bought the mm3 x 60 with the DSL v2 eyepiece. The fact that it is waterproof tilted the scale too.

As it was dark I tested at home agains my neighbours door across the road and from the living room to the a series of objects I put on the kitchen table. It is indeed very sharp.

Thanks for the advise,
G

Hello

Chris has very kindly sent a test unit to my local shop so I went today to play with it. I got to try the mm3 x 60 with both eyepieces for a few minutes.

Unfortunately today was too bright in Dublin, not ideal for testing, but when I pointed it to a dark area I found the DSL v2 a bit brighter than the hdf. Now part of this could be perception and results may be different if I test it again.

Although the DSL is effectively larger, I did not find that it is not made for that scope at all, as mentioned to Sandgrounder by a seller.

Anyway, at the end I bought the mm3 x 60 with the DSL v2 eyepiece. The fact that it is waterproof tilted the scale too.

As it was dark I tested at home agains my neighbours door across the road and from the living room to the a series of objects I put on the kitchen table. It is indeed very sharp.

Thanks for the advise,
G

good choice indeed, I had both here at one time, and preferred the sdl v2 eyepiece, the sdl is brighter I found especially looking at the moon
I was also very lucky that I managed to video Jupiter
using the opticron es100 and the sdl,
I was so pleased, most of my bird images using the same combo with great results
opticron come up trumps with me every time, plus the service is always outstanding.
just a general spotter here:
hth regards...keith in Swindon

No experience with the HDF eyepiece but have used SDL v1 and SDL v2 eyepieces and the v2 is the dogs, much the best eyepiece I have ever used. If I had the cash to spare I'd drop the SDL v1 I have on my GS52 and put on a v2 to go with the SDL v2 I use on my HR80.

I got to use the scope yesterday in a long day out that covered sea, woods and rolling hillls. I will not comment on its performance as all is said but I could experience first time why a good tripod is important, as I didn't have one.

I went with the cheap and cheerful tripod I have at home what was not ideal (panning not zoom, scope would shake with a bit of wind, etc).

So I will have to get another one. Specifically for this scope, I am considering the Sherpa 200R and the PH157QK, which is one recommended by Opticron (and there are good deals online), but open to suggestions.

Thanks

I got to use the scope yesterday in a long day out that covered sea, woods and rolling hillls. I will not comment on its performance as all is said but I could experience first time why a good tripod is important, as I didn't have one.

I went with the cheap and cheerful tripod I have at home what was not ideal (panning not zoom, scope would shake with a bit of wind, etc).

So I will have to get another one. Specifically for this scope, I am considering the Sherpa 200R and the PH157QK, which is one recommended by Opticron (and there are good deals online), but open to suggestions.

Thanks

As to tripods - you won't like what I have to say! This is just my opinion and findings so take it for what it's worth.
In my experience spotting scopes are VERY demanding on tripods. I am mainly a photographer using the longest, current, Canon lens available (800mm F5.6 L IS) and this is far easier to support than most spotting scopes! Now I am not suggesting that you get a monster Gitzo 5 series tripod (though I would recommend one!) as everything is a compromise! However even my 3 series Gitzo, which is plenty rigid enough for my 800mm, can get a bit wobbly with my scope. The reason is simple scopes magnify far more than camera lenses. Also with a scope you don't have weight and a stabiliser system to help settle things down.
As a minimum I would look at the Feisol 3342T + a decent head. The Feisol is VERY light yet fairly rigid and not stupidly expensive - a unique combination! I am not an expert on heads, but I use a Manfrotto 701 HDV which I find pretty reasonable - though I think it is out of production now.

Gear like this is quite a bit more expensive - but worth it in the long run in my opinion. I am sure others with, hopefully, more experience than me will chime in with other recommendations.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back