• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do I find birds in hedgerows and scrub? (1 Viewer)

mcdowella

I would like to pick a local patch and keep an eye on the birds frequenting it. There is an ex-railway line now reborn as a nature trail and cycle way. This runs through cuttings, hedges and fields, and woods. There is also an area of scrub and river crossed by a cycle way/walk way with seats. In both cases you can hear but not see the birds, buried in hedgerow or scrub. I find this discouraging as in my back garden the birds seem happy to perch in the tops of trees, where they are much more visible. I have two questions:

1/Where should I be looking? So far I have seen silhouetted birds vanishing as I come round the corner. I have less often seen small birds on the ground by gates and other gaps in the hedge. Other birds visible tend to be crows and relatives thereof - certainly not responsible for the birdsong I am hearing. Training a scope on the hedge on the other side of the field seems to be unproductive - but I haven't yet spent a long time with a tripod-mounted scope.

2/Why so shy? Are they hiding from humans or natural predators? Why cower among the hedges in the country but strut around in gardens?
Is there simply more food in the hedges?

well identifying song always helps...and then maybe you can find out what your looking for and where it will be

It's all a question of time

Birds hide in hedgerows to avoid potential predators, they also might be feeding on insects on the leaves in the hedges. The only answer to seeing birds in hedgerows is patience. Sit or stand and wait and make sure you are wearing muted coloured clothing. Portable hides and / or camouflage netting are possibilities if there is somewhere discreet where you can use them (obviously one does not want to have other users of the path standing around chortling at your efforts to be inconspicuous as that will also prevent the birds from showing themselves).

Just keep walking it, is my advice. Although learning the songs and calls of the commoner birds helps as if you can accuratly eleminate the common you know to stay and study an area until the bird pops out again. But in my oppinion the more you walk an area the more you will see (and walk slowly, running will not help).

Have you seen any of Nigel Blake's advice on the digiscoping forum, about field-craft ? That will help a tremendous amount. Basically, dress inconspicuously, move quietly and slowly, try to blend in (stand next to trees, not out in the open; kneel by hedgerows, etc), be prepared to stand and wait five or ten minutes for the birds to grow accustomed to your presence - and if you take some seed along, put it somewhere that the birds can eat it and feel safe, then sit and watch. As for clothing, remember you will get wet and dirty on many occasions, so go for cheap not posh!

HTH

Tony

I would emphasise Tony and Simon's point - the 5-10 minutes you spend letting the birds forget about you makes all the difference. Good luck, I'm sure your patience will be rewarded!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back