• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sawdust/shavings Filling for nestbox? (1 Viewer)

MrBJones

In another post I asked about a downy woodpecker that drums on a nest box. Well, he still does that but I haven't seen him go in. But....Ive seen a chickadee hanging around the same box, and he(?) has actually gone in a few times. What sort of filling do they prefer...shavings or dust? And will the cedar you typically put on the bottom of a pet cage work?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Saw dust is not good it can hold moister. Use wood chips and fill it up to the hole. Any type should work. I use Aspen Wood Chips made for small pet bedding. On a side not I use this in the fall for a Downy winter roost. It's almost unheard of for Downy to nest in a box as they are pre-wired to build a new hole to nest in. Filling to the hole will keep out House Sparrows as well. Native birds will remove the chips to the level they prefer. Here in northern Indiana Downy will use the winter roost till end of April a week after they stop using it the House Wrens arrive.

Saw dust is not good it can hold moister. Use wood chips and fill it up to the hole. Any type should work. I use Aspen Wood Chips made for small pet bedding. On a side not I use this in the fall for a Downy winter roost. It's almost unheard of for Downy to nest in a box as they are pre-wired to build a new hole to nest in. Filling to the hole will keep out House Sparrows as well. Native birds will remove the chips to the level they prefer. Here in northern Indiana Downy will use the winter roost till end of April a week after they stop using it the House Wrens arrive.

Something like THIS?

https://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-Aspen...ips&qid=1584296150&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-1&th=1

Last edited:
I have cedar shavings in a Bluebird box and today a male, then female showed up but the male was taking shavings out, so I put a empty box beside it and he flew in and right out, What should I do.. Thanks Jerry in Florida Panhandle.

Last edited:
I had Blue Tits and Great Tits (related to Chickadees) in my nestbox in the UK. I had put cedar shavings on the bottom. The first thing the birds did was throw it all out! So I don't think you need any filling. If they want it they will bring it in by themselves.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back