• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To count, or not to count? (1 Viewer)

weather

Pirate name: Poncy Henry Goodfellow
Hey all,

I belong to a bird list server here in Ohio. I've read postings where the poster has counted how many of one species is present. (Gold Finch 25, etc.) I've always been amazed when they post huge numbers like (Ring-billed Gull 1,353)
Is there an equation that they use? I can't imagine them just standing there and counting all of the Gulls. And if so, how many users on this forum count their sightings, and how important do you think it is to count?

Thanks,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi Michael, I'd wondered that too. We get strange counts here too, like 'Pochard, maximum count 2,179'

I count all birds I see, so when I'm going back through my notes from previous years, I can compare and see patterns developing. I think it's good practice and can improve your knowledge of migration dates etc.

Additionally, in my case, it makes me study every bird, so I can differentiate between sexes and age.

Again, notekeeping is a personal thing, it's what ever suits your style.

Would be interested to know about these large and seemingly exact counts though!

Regards,

I count them on my patch, where I return regularly, for comparative purposes. Irregularly elsewhere. Large numbers are estimates, rounded to the nearest 10, 50, etc. Somewhere there's a previous thread (isn't there always?)

Giving exact numbers is a form of statistical bulls***ting; I don't believe anyone can accurately count 2,179 birds unless they're perched on a telephone wire, dead.

Charles Harper said:
Giving exact numbers is a form of statistical bulls***ting; I don't believe anyone can accurately count 2,179 birds unless they're perched on a telephone wire, dead.

or the sum total of a day counting passage in small flocks :)

I was once gutted to count (twice) exactly 250 Curlew, I was tempted to submit it as 251 or 249!

I've also used a clicker and checked after a morning's passage to see 1500 Meadow Pipits on it.... obviously I missed some and double counted a few... but 1500 sounds like a number plucked out of thin air.. and it wasn't!

It's funny how if I count two flocks of 200 and 250 Curlews then that would equal 450 Curlews but two flocks of 250 and 250 only equal 250 Curlews ;)

When I've worked a patch regularly I've usually counted more-or-less everything as accurately as I can (I usually count flocks on the deck in twos). I don't do it so much now though, which I suppose at least indicates that I don't have too much time on my hands at the moment! Still, it's quite an interesting thing to do for us anal retentive types (and it does genuinely contribute to knowledge).

It's funny how if I count two flocks of 200 and 250 Curlews then that would equal 450 Curlews but two flocks of 250 and 250 only equal 250 Curlews

Andrew

What???

You'd assume it was the same flock seen twice... in my case though I counted right to left then left to right...and it was exactly the same flock!

Sorry, logical slip-up of sorts, Jane. On the other hand, a day's count, totalling a couple of thousand birds, what are the odds that a few hadn't flown about and voted twice?

I'd like to put in a good word for the Farne Islands wardens, they had quite a task, counting 97,500 pairs of breeding seabirds, including 55,674 pairs of Puffins

At least they had a whole summer to do it in!

Michael

2,179. It's kind of like some of our engineering calculations; the preciseness of the answer far exceeds the accuracy. I tend to round off so that no one thinks I believe I counted them exactly.

Last edited:
The most incredible figure I remember is in Dick Forsman's splendid raptor ID book. He mentions Honey Buzzard passage through Israel and cites an exact figure for the day record, something like 229,721. I can't help raising a sceptical eyebrow when I read that statistic. Apologies to Israeli raptor counters in advance but isn't an exact figure stretching it a little?

E

Jane Turner said:
I can believe that number were counted... it doesn't mean that that number passed though :)

Good point, Jane. Perhaps I'm just envious because I've never seen a Honey Buzzard :-(

E

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back