• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lucifer (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

I am not sure if this key entry is completely correct:

(syn. Calothorax Ϯ Lucifer Hummingbird C. lucifer) L. lucifer light-bearing < lux, lucis light; -fera bearing < ferre to bear (cf. specific name Cynanthus lucifer Swainson, 1827); "*Lucifer cyanopogon (Orn. - LESS. 1829.) BOIE. - Mexico" (Reichenbach 1854).

OK here we can find L'Oiseau-Mouche Barbe-Bleue (Ornismya cyabopogon) and the plate here. Later in 1832 Lesson here mentioned Les Lucifers. But this is not a valid name. And in 1843 here

Race: Les Lucifer Calothorax, Gray - (pl. 62 à 64.) L'ois. mouche de Costa.....

So I am not sure if Reichnbach here just misinterpreted the name.

In all likelihood, Swainson's species name inspired Lesson's 'race' vernacular, and Lesson's 'race' vernacular inspired Reichenbach genus-group name.
(Reichenbach in 1854 [here] attributed the name to Lesson, treating it as if it had been introduced as a scientific name, not just as a vernacular. And Lesson in 1832 cited Swainson's Cynanthus lucifer as a synonym of his own Ornismya cyanopogon, his first "Lucifer", at the end of this species' account [here].)

Incidentally: Reichenbach 1854 [here] is the first inclusion of a nominal species in the genus I could find (making Lesson's cyanopogon the type of the genus by subsequent monotypy, so far as I can assess); but there Reichenbach appears to attribute the combination to Boie... Would anyone be aware of a publication where Boie would have used it prior to 1854 ?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back