• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Northern Diver, Cheltenham (1 Viewer)

Mike Beer

Took this photo about a hour ago right in the middle of Cheltenham, please confirm a Great Northern Diver.

Mike

Attachments

• P1170064.jpg
    P1170064.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 259
I have checked the pictures I took today of this bird and there are much better pictures than mine about but this bird seems to have a white spot near its right eye which is not shown near its left eye is that normal or does this bird have a problem.
Mike

Attachments

• P1170064.jpg
    P1170064.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 67
  • P1170060.jpg
    P1170060.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
A close-up of the right side of its head.

The obvious white patch below the eye is not present on the left hand side.

Attachments

• IMGL9039.jpg
    IMGL9039.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMGL9045.jpg
    IMGL9045.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 50
Some close up pictures here seem to show the same mark on the bird's right side. Does seem odd as it looks like a small loose feather but it remains in place after repeated diving. May be some sort of growth underneath....

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back