• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Talk about a hodge podge (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
All these within inches of each other. Any I.D.s would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to post a different angle of the center spider in the next post down.

Attachments

• p7270050cropbf.jpg
    p7270050cropbf.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 172
Here's a better view of the center spider? 8 legs = arachnid right?
This particular one is 2 and 1/2 inches at its longest point. Yup, I measured it.

I'm editing this cause I found out it is a run of the mill Black & Yellow Garden Spider. My measurements go from tip of front leg to tip of back leg but evidently it is measured only by the body itself. This must have been a female. I took a profile of her and I guess she is about ready to die according to what I am pasting below.

"Life Cycle Female fills spherical egg sac, up to 1" (25 mm) wide, with tough brown papery cover. Female attaches it to one side of web close to resting position, then dies. Eggs hatch in autumn, young overwinter in sac, then disperse in spring. Male builds web in outlying part of female's web, making a white zigzag band vertically across the middle."

Attachments

• p7270043bf.jpg
    p7270043bf.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 188
How did the Sphinx make it through the enemy lines?:eat:

Good thing that I have fishing to fall back on! You guys all make my hours behind a camera look worthless!

If any of you want to go one-on-one with a fishing pole I'm ready for ya!;)

Mark goes in search of a Web site where he belongs.

EXCEPTIONAL!!!

Mark

Two males and a female-- what are they called? Garden Weaver? (something like that) and yes a diurnal sphinx moth-- Hummingbird Sphinx? We have a very similar looking species here.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back