• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-faced Spoonbill in Seoul (1 Viewer)

ianreid

I realise that a few other threads have discussed the Black-faced Spoonbill in Seoul but I thought I would just update, having been there last weekend. I visited Dongmak Lagoon as a diversion from downtown Seoul on my way to Incheon airport. Though I was in a taxi, as others have said it is walking distance from Dongmak Stn.

Amazingly this world rarity breeds on an artificial island in the tidal lagoon surrounded by the new city of Song Do (built on 7500ha of reclaimed mudflats).

There were more than 100 birds present on 22nd July when I visited. The views were distant, though I guess if you are there at the right time there may be birds feeding closer to the edge of the lake. When I was there in 36deg heat mid afternoon, there were a few on the island, but most were either sleeping or feeding in a large group around 200m from the bank, north-west of the island.

The birds clearly have local celebrity status -- there is a blind at GPS 37.394310, 126.675656 sweetly decorated with paintings by local school-children.

Cheers, Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back