• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox 8x33 HG BR - Japan Model #62163 (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
Iam thinking about purchasing this, due to it now being greatly reduced in price. Iam soliciting opinions on how they compare to the Pentax SP , ED line & the Vortex Viper 8x32 binoculars. I have owned the Pentax SP & have the Viper 6x32, so I know the quality of both. I have not had the chance to view the Pentax Ed or the Viper 8x32 model. The Minox are now discounted down to around $400, now close in price on some sites to the viper & within $200 of the Pentax Ed .... gwen

There are lots of high quality optics now in the <$500 range and the Minox 8x33 is very similar to the Kowa BD 8x32mm so even though the Minox may seem heavily discounted they are probably correctly priced now at $400.

Given the current state-of-the-art, I would not even consider a binocular in this price range that did not sport ED glass in the objectives. It may not make a noticeable difference under most conditions, but on bright sun days you will appreciate what it can do for the view.

Rick

The Minox have good optics but the focus is too fast for my tastes. The HG line goes from close focus to infinity in one turn. I find it takes a very delicate touch to get sharp focus. The IPD is very sensitive too. Using them is a lot of work. They've gotten good reviews from other members, though, so I guess it's a matter of personal taste.

I have both the Minox HG 8x33 BR and the Pentax DCF ED 10x50. I have also used the 8x32 size of the Pentax DCF ED, which I returned.

First the Minox HG 8x33 BR. True, if there is one criticism that is aimed at this binocular, it is from those who find the quick focus and narrow depth of field too difficult to reach sharp focus. If you want slow focus with precision--this is not the model to buy. The time and place for quick focus is hunting and other on-the-go applications where you do want quick focus.

Now, that we have gotten the quick focus out of the way, permit me to say a few words about the other fine features of the Minox HG 33 BR. They are quite rugged and offer a nice color bias toward many of the colors you encounter in the woods. I just love to take my Minox 8x33 to the woods to observe the fall colors. No other binocular that I have looked through captures the fall tree foliage in the same way as this model--not the Pentax DCF ED, not the Nikon SE, not the Swift Audubon ED. If you love the woods, like a rugged binocular, and appreciate the benefits of quick focus--check out the Minox HG 8x33 BR.

The Pentax DCF ED binocular is better than the Minox HG 8x33 BR in many ways. First, the ED glass offers brilliant colors with a slower focus that can easily achieve a maximum degree of sharpness. I remember once I took the Pentax DCF ED 8x32 and Minox HG 8x33 BR to observe a pair of bald eagles at a nature preserve. The golden eye and white breast plumage was much more spectacular in the Pentax than the Minox. I was 10 ft from the female bald eagle and had her framed in my view when she faced me directly and screamed from the enclosure. Scared me to death.

However, I returned the Pentax DCF ED 8x32 because the strap receptacles on the side of the oculars uncomfortably hit the bone at the base of my first finger in both hands. It was a unique thing between my hand size and the size of this bino's 8x32 model. I later tried the other sizes of the Pentax DCF ED and did not have the same uncomfortable fit. So, needing a quality roof 10x50, I bought the 10x50 size of the Pentax DCF ED and have never regretted it.

If the Pentax DCF ED 8x32 fits your hand and you do not notice any bumping against the bone, as I attempted to describe above, I would recommend this model over the Minox HG 8x33 BR for most observing situations and targets. However, if you are looking for a quick focus rugged bino for hunting and travel, then you may prefer the Minox.

You just have to try them both in the observing situations and targets that you enjoy to see which bino you prefer. I think with the colors you encounter in urban settings and the precision needed for bird watching or floral targets, the Pentax DCF ED definitely triumphs.

I hope this helps.

...Bob
Kentucky, USA

Minox 8x33 HG BR - A Nice Glass

Iam thinking about purchasing this, due to it now being greatly reduced in price.] Iam soliciting opinions on how they compare to the Pentax SP , ED line & the Vortex Viper 8x32 binoculars. I have owned the Pentax SP & have the Viper 6x32, so I know the quality of both. I have not had the chance to view the Pentax Ed or the Viper 8x32 model. The Minox are now discounted down to around $400, now close in price on some sites to the viper & within $200 of the Pentax Ed .... gwen
Thanks RJM, BinoBoy,BobinKy for the info ..... I decided to purchase these from Camerland NY, Thanks to their one day quick ship I received them today. They are just as bright & a tad sharper than the pentax SP I had & I thought they were a sweet Bino. I compared them to my 6x32 Vortex vipers, the viper were a little more brighter( sunny day) but I thought the Minox were just as clear & sharp once I got it in focus. Iam going to compare them to my 7x36 Zen ED2 & yes I do expect the Zens to out perform them. The Minox is a solid, well built binocular. They work well with my glasses & I dont mind that quick focus. What you would expect from German quality even if it was not put together in Germany ??? No where on the Bino itself or box does it mention Japan. It does say Minox Germany on the little tag attached to where the straps go & on some of the paperwork, but not made in germany. The underside where the Ser# is does have the letters GmbH. The ones I got were black & are very compact, about 1/4" shorter than the 6x32 viper. Since I was looking for a compact, rugged nice 32 or 33 Bino under $450 to replace the pentax Sp , I will keep these. I paid $415 on Ebay from camerland with free shipping & the way they perform stops me from spending that extra few hundred dollars on the Pentax 8x32 ED which is not worth the difference too me. They are a really nice piece of glass. They also come with a 30 Yr warranty.....gwen

dont mind that quick focus. What you would expect from German quality even if it was not put together in Germany ??? No where on the Bino itself or box does it mention Japan. It does say Minox Germany on the little tag attached to where the straps go & on some of the paperwork, but not made in germany. The underside where the Ser# is does have the letters GmbH.

Actually, there is a tiny sticker attached to the shrink wrap covering the outer box which reads "Made in Japan". That said, I think it is pretty close to a deceptive trade practice to use the blizzard of German indicators on the box, warranty, binocular and strap. It's a shame, really, because the build quality of the binocular is superb and there is no reason to pretend it is made in Germany. The new Minox HG series is, apparently, now made in Germany and I think it will be justly ironic if the quality declines from the former Japanese-made models.

I can't remember what it said on my Leupold Yosemite. Leupold is an American Company. Can anyone remember if the Yosemite, or the box it comes in, says Leupold, USA or Leupold, Japan or Leupold, China?
Bob

Gwen...

Congratulations on your purchase of the Minox HG 8x33 BR.

Another viewing situation where this little Minox excels is the study of trees (bark, limbs, geometric design). If you get a chance, before the leaves appear, take your Minox someplace where you can look at several trees. The grey bark appears to jump out at you.

They are also great at capturing and accenting blue sky.

Enjoy.

...Bob
Kentucky, USA

I can't remember what it said on my Leupold Yosemite. Leupold is an American Company. Can anyone remember if the Yosemite, or the box it comes in, says Leupold, USA or Leupold, Japan or Leupold, China?
Bob

They're made in China. It says so on serial number plate on the underside of the bin.

Bob's right on the Minox HG 8x33's. Mine were purchased for my wife who still prefers the Swaro porro's that I can't pry from her hands. The HG's slightly outperformed my mid 90's vintage Swarovski 8X30 SLC's which were sold for more than I paid for the Minox. The 8X33 HG may not be the best at anything but they just don't have any glaring weaknesses for me. They're darn good and get more use that most of the oh so too many binoculars at my house.

. . . The 8X33 HG may not be the best at anything but they just don't have any glaring weaknesses for me. They're darn good and get more use that most of the oh so too many binoculars at my house.
Quite right--You just do not have to worry when you're out with the Minox 8x33 HG. It is surprising how quick you get a quality view.

What's that over there?​

The rugged little Minox 8x33 HG will usually tell you before the others. After the view, lay the Minox back on the old log and wait for the next sign.

There it is again. Now, I see you.

:t::t::t::t::t:

...Bob
Kentucky, USA

Actually, there is a tiny sticker attached to the shrink wrap covering the outer box which reads "Made in Japan". That said, I think it is pretty close to a deceptive trade practice to use the blizzard of German indicators on the box, warranty, binocular and strap. It's a shame, really, because the build quality of the binocular is superb and there is no reason to pretend it is made in Germany. The new Minox HG series is, apparently, now made in Germany and I think it will be justly ironic if the quality declines from the former Japanese-made models.

Why does it matter which country is specified as the country of origin?

In a world of globalized trade and outsourced production very few if any consumer goods are completely produced in one country. The manufacturers reputation is a far better indicator of quality than a contrived country of origin.

Yes, I realize that Minox is producing and selling the "German" HG series and some of us are willing to pay a lot more for that label. But does the word "Germany" really result in a better binocular? There are usually more holes in country of origin rules than emmentaler cheese. And do we really know that all those components were made by Minox in Germany?:eek!:

Why does it matter which country is specified as the country of origin? The manufacturers reputation is a far better indicator of quality than a contrived country of origin. :

I agree, and think it is, in fact, for that very reason that Zeiss (some products made in Hungary), Rollei (Singapore) and Leica (Portugal and, earlier under the Leitz name, Canada) have no problem identifying the manufacturing country of origin for their respective products while Minox apparently thinks it needs the public perception of "Made in Germany" precision" to bolster their reputation.

Last edited:
They probably made the move as not so long ago everyone seemed to be slagging them off for not being made in Germany.....

Hi
How can you actually tell if a Minox HG model is made in Germany or Japan??

The German-made model has "Made in Germany" engraved on the base of the focusing knob. It is also much more expensive. In the US, the old 8x33 is generally selling for $799 and the German model for $1295.

The one exception is cameralandny.com, which bought out the old inventory from Minox and is selling the old 8x33 for $399.

Jeff

I own a HG 8x33 and I like it very much. I also believe it is the best bin in the HG line. The color representation is absolutely neutral, however I am not perfectly sure this is a virtue. An ever-so-slight yellower cast may be advantageous for the enhanced visual comfort it provides.
The focuser goes CCW to infinity and it is "stiffish". It is regarded one of the HG line's major features, but I find the above-mentioned combination of shallow DOF, CCW focus and stiffish focuser makes this bin a bit slow to use.

I can overview most part of the image with spectacles, but eye placement is very critical - IPD must be set within tight tolerances. The eye-relief could have been a couple of mm longer, as now I have to raise my chin in order to fit my eyeglass lens snugly onto the eyepiece. And there occasionally is a little straylight on overcast days. But the streetlamp test shows no ghosting and the contrast is very high, almost unreal when used in sunlight.

Let's compare with having a Ferrari - once you get your seats properly adjusted and have adapted to the monster power engine, you will love driving it.
But for casual use, there are easier binoculars to use. I praise my Vortex Fury 6,5x32 as much as I can.
I doubt I will part from the Minox. Maybe a Minox BL 8x44 should fit my preferences better, but I doubt it can beat the image quality of the HG 8x33.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back