• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 15x50 and 18x50 - Protective Filters (1 Viewer)

Matt_RTH

For those with either of these models, do you use protective filters? I tend to think I would like better protection for the objectives which are a little more exposed than I like. I've been burned by bad filters before reducing image quality with photography, but is it critical with binocular use? What are your preferences, including not using protective filters?

Do you have any recommendations for inexpensive but good UV filters that do not affect the image negatively?

Thanks,
Matt

As a matter of trivia, the actual objective lenses sit behind an optical window. I use a pair of screw-on, inch long metal lens hoods. They safely keep the lenses out of harms way, reduce glare, and most important practically eliminate dew issues that can be a real problem with this bino. Some folks also feel the need for caps, either plastic snap-in or rubber flip-downs, but I don't bother with them.

cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
Hi Matt,

I don't use protective filters on my 18x50's, the objectives you can see moving behind the optical window. I believe that window is enough protection, as long as you take a little care of your bins.
Besides, I read somewhere on another thread that protective filters may cause condensation to form between the filter and the optical window in wet circumstances.
Some kind of tube extension like Rick described seems like a good solution if you're worried about the exposed optical window.

Regards,

Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back