• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Endangered Wedge-tailed Eagle injured in illegal trap **WARNING** Sickening photos (1 Viewer)

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
A beautiful Endangered Tasmanian Wedge-tailed Eagle has been injured in an illegal rabbit trap losing one toe and talon and may have to be euthanized.

:eek!: **WARNING** Confronting Sickening photos and footage. I took one look at the photos and decided I wasn't even going to play the video footage. Just posting this because there is only something like ~350 breeding pairs left in the world and as a public service FYI.

Consider carefully before you click on the link, look at photos, or play footage ........ :-C

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019...nD_rf-0dCZYxMad-tR2B4L1dUptAyGNZBdFoB0M0jxPn8

F*@ken some humans - they make me want to be sick ! :storm: :-C

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
No justification for this but is WtE endangered?

From Birdlife:
The population trend appears to be increasing, and hence the species does not approach the thresholds for Vulnerable under the population trend criterion (>30% decline over ten years or three generations). The population size is very large, and hence does not approach the thresholds for Vulnerable under the population size criterion (<10,000 mature individuals with a continuing decline estimated to be >10% in ten years or three generations, or with a specified population structure). For these reasons the species is evaluated as Least Concern.

No justification for this but is WtE endangered?

From Birdlife:
The population trend appears to be increasing, and hence the species does not approach the thresholds for Vulnerable under the population trend criterion (>30% decline over ten years or three generations). The population size is very large, and hence does not approach the thresholds for Vulnerable under the population size criterion (<10,000 mature individuals with a continuing decline estimated to be >10% in ten years or three generations, or with a specified population structure). For these reasons the species is evaluated as Least Concern.
I think the OP was referring to the Tasmanian ssp. specifically. That population is endangered, IIRC.

No justification for this but is WtE endangered?.....

I think the OP was referring to the Tasmanian ssp. specifically. That population is endangered, IIRC.

Yes, the article was quite clear - the endangered Tasmanian Wedge-tailed Eagle (Aquila audax fleayi). The 350 quoted in the article may be breeding adults total (not pairs). As little as 95 nests each year are successful and mortality from there is high. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasmanian_wedge-tailed_eagle

Hopefully this beautiful bird can be saved and at least live comfortably well looked after in captivity and contribute to breeding. Every individual counts.

Chosun :gh:

Yes, the article was quite clear - the endangered Tasmanian Wedge-tailed Eagle (Aquila audax fleayi). The 350 quoted in the article may be breeding adults total (not pairs). As little as 95 nests each year are successful and mortality from there is high. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasmanian_wedge-tailed_eagle

Hopefully this beautiful bird can be saved and at least live comfortably well looked after in captivity and contribute to breeding. Every individual counts. Chosun :gh:

Indeed! I saw quite a few in Tasmania in 2016, including one about 30km NNW of Bicheno, not far from this appalling incident's location.
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back