• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can i still get birds where i live? (1 Viewer)

wildlifelove

Hopefully Birding...
Hi

I have been thinking about this question for a long time and this is a question that alot of people want answering.
Is i live in a Urban area, Lots of housing's and roads. And my question is can i still get a good range of birds?
I get starlings and sparrows and doves with others being blackbirds, tits and robin and did have goldfinch. But can i still get others like siskin's, Chaffinches ect. I have a fat ball feeder, peanut feeder, 2 seed feeders (with hearts) and a try feeder?

If you have any ideas, tips and advice that would be great OR if you are like me and get lots of birds?

Regards

ALL

I don't know about over there in Europe, but here in the US, if you live in a very urban area, you will usually only get urban birds, and around here that is house sparrows, starlings, mourning doves, pigeons, and maybe some blackbirds. This is the situation where people outta appreciate the "pest" birds, because what might be a pest for one person, might be the only birds another person has.

Hi

I have been thinking about this question for a long time and this is a question that alot of people want answering.
Is i live in a Urban area, Lots of housing's and roads. And my question is can i still get a good range of birds?
I get starlings and sparrows and doves with others being blackbirds, tits and robin and did have goldfinch. But can i still get others like siskin's, Chaffinches ect. I have a fat ball feeder, peanut feeder, 2 seed feeders (with hearts) and a try feeder?

If you have any ideas, tips and advice that would be great OR if you are like me and get lots of birds?

Regards

ALL

What is the habitat in and near to the garden? Do you have a park, a river or stream nearby?

What bushes/shrubs/trees do you have in the garden? These can be as important at attracting birds as the food you give them. You have not mentioned water, so if you do not have a bird bath, providing one may help encourage more birds.

CB

What is the habitat in and near to the garden? Do you have a park, a river or stream nearby?

What bushes/shrubs/trees do you have in the garden? These can be as important at attracting birds as the food you give them. You have not mentioned water, so if you do not have a bird bath, providing one may help encourage more birds.

CB

There is a small park a stone throw away, Gardens next to be all have big bushes, and lots of plants. We have 3 tree's and next door have 1. There also 2 small lets say 23 meters by 23 meters green areas with grass and bushes around it with a big tree where someone has feeder's. But i think i have to just take in the fact i won't get many other's? And yes my feeding station has a water bowl

I'm no expert but I think many birds are pretty good at using the urban environment as well as the rural... provide what they want and they'll come! I work in education and walking past a large viburnum bush on the grounds I came literally face to face with a long tailed tit yesterday! There are students all over the place and it's as urban as you get - the long tailed tit didn't seem to care!

We gradually have been getting new ones over the past couple of years apart from the usual daily visitors ,they might come only once or twice. The last one we got was a Tree Sparrow, others have included Chiffchaff, Goldcrest, Long tailed Tits, Reed Bunting, Blackcap, Redpoll, Great Spotted Woodpecker Mistle Thrush, Redswing, Fieldfare, and Waxwing....We have had Bramblings daily since December the most being 40 in one batch.

Our garden sounds about the same as yours. I put the variety we get to feeding them all year round and having the feeders located in good positions [mostly branches of the tree/bushes we have. Also the choice of bushes can help, the pyracantha berries brought the Fieldfare/Redwing and Mistle Thrush in. The Mahonia when not flowering it has bracts of currant like fruits for the birds, even the viburnum which is a winter flowering [shown on this picture]http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/351179/ppuser/21 seems to attract birds. We also have a few small apple trees as well in the garden.

There is a small park a stone throw away, Gardens next to be all have big bushes, and lots of plants. We have 3 tree's and next door have 1. There also 2 small lets say 23 meters by 23 meters green areas with grass and bushes around it with a big tree where someone has feeder's. But i think i have to just take in the fact i won't get many other's? And yes my feeding station has a water bowl

Sounds like you have decent habitat in and around the garden, so you should get a more varied birdlife visiting. Do you have a pond? Even though you have a water bowl, a pond may encourage more birds. My parents have a pond no bigger than a postage stamp and they get frogs visiting plus the occasional dragonfly in the summer. My only other suggestion would be along the lines of trying different foods or putting extra food in different areas of the garden.

CB

We gradually have been getting new ones over the past couple of years apart from the usual daily visitors ,they might come only once or twice. The last one we got was a Tree Sparrow, others have included Chiffchaff, Goldcrest, Long tailed Tits, Reed Bunting, Blackcap, Redpoll, Great Spotted Woodpecker Mistle Thrush, Redswing, Fieldfare, and Waxwing....We have had Bramblings daily since December the most being 40 in one batch.

Our garden sounds about the same as yours. I put the variety we get to feeding them all year round and having the feeders located in good positions [mostly branches of the tree/bushes we have. Also the choice of bushes can help, the pyracantha berries brought the Fieldfare/Redwing and Mistle Thrush in. The Mahonia when not flowering it has bracts of currant like fruits for the birds, even the viburnum which is a winter flowering [shown on this picture]http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/351179/ppuser/21 seems to attract birds. We also have a few small apple trees as well in the garden.

Sounds Great! My area is very Urban. But i did have goldfinch and a first chaffinch today so maybe they might come bit more often thanks everyone.

Really wouldn't be worrying about this, the birds will definitely come.

We have about 25 species in total visiting our urban garden at the moment, and am hoping for more :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back