• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Hard Time Finding 8X42 Ultravid Plus - What gives? (1 Viewer)

Are the HD's and HD plus really that much better, or is this all marketing hype?

Better than what? Have not used the HD's, just HD plus. Pretty stunning image. Well worth the $1,900 I paid at demo discount, and still worth it had I paid the full $2,400. I wasn't sure they would be. But wow.

Are the HD's and HD plus really that much better, or is this all marketing hype?

Never mind picking out individual models, are Leicas, Swarovskis or Zeisses 'that much better' than, something less expensive?

Its a question that only each individual person can answer after having had a good look through the instruments and considered the purchase price.

Lee

Never mind picking out individual models, are Leicas, Swarovskis or Zeisses 'that much better' than, something less expensive?

Its a question that only each individual person can answer after having had a good look through the instruments and considered the purchase price.

Lee

Being someone who has used 3rd tier binoculars around $300+; and second tier binoculars in the $1,000ish range in part-time State law enforcement; at each level I was thrilled because I didn't know anything else existed.

When I stepped up from the Steiners to the Zeiss Marines where the latter are probably just not quite alphas but well better than Conquests I thought that was just stunning and they were.

But then one day just outside of Montgomery, Alabama I looked across a massive Bass Pro out the window and to the highway through some Swarovision EL 10X42's and I thought, "are you kidding me?" So now I own an Ultravid HD Plus, and my personal answer to are the alphas worth the extra coin is resoundingly yes.

I don't begin to have the experience or frame-of-expertise most who post on this forum do. I did know those Zeiss Marines permitted me to clearly look right in to a car as they came over a hill, even at dusk, and write the seat-belt ticket as a result.

With the alphas, the law of diminishing returns is undeniably in play, but even so, they are fully worth the price of admission.

Attachments

• ZeissMarine.jpg
    ZeissMarine.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Being someone who has used 3rd tier binoculars around $300+; and second tier binoculars in the $1,000ish range in part-time State law enforcement; at each level I was thrilled because I didn't know anything else existed.

When I stepped up from the Steiners to the Zeiss Marines where the latter are probably just not quite alphas but well better than Conquests I thought that was just stunning and they were.

But then one day just outside of Montgomery, Alabama I looked across a massive Bass Pro out the window and to the highway through some Swarovision EL 10X42's and I thought, "are you kidding me?" So now I own an Ultravid HD Plus, and my personal answer to are the alphas worth the extra coin is resoundingly yes.

I don't begin to have the experience or frame-of-expertise most who post on this forum do. I did know those Zeiss Marines permitted me to clearly look right in to a car as they came over a hill, even at dusk, and write the seat-belt ticket as a result.

With the alphas, the law of diminishing returns is undeniably in play, but even so, they are fully worth the price of admission.

I see you have the Big Zeiss posted for sale in the sales forum

You posted the above picture back in August and the binocular received some very favorable comments then.

Are you sure you want to sell it?

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=309567

Bob

I see you have the Big Zeiss posted for sale in the sales forum

You posted the above picture back in August and the binocular received some very favorable comments then.

Are you sure you want to sell it?

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=309567

Bob

Yeah, 'cause I'm only selling one. The one without teethmarks from my dog. There was no reason to have two before, now with the Ultravids two Marines make no sense. Plus, I promised someone I'd sell them to offset some of the Ultravid cost.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back