• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Underwing Moth (1 Viewer)

Michael A

Didn't see moth with wings open so not quite sure of which underwing it is maybe yellow or red. Any thoughts welcomed.

Attachments

• Underwing DSC_6773.jpg
    Underwing DSC_6773.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 30
Wow. I want one of those too! Whereabouts in NW Durham, Michael? I'm in nearby Washington Tyne and Wear and wonder if they might be in my area. Any tips on how to find them in the daytime, Paul? Since a) I don't have a trap up here and b) the link suggests they don't come to light all that often. I have had success recently with daytime Treble-bar and Shaded Broad-bar, (both new for me) but I got too close too soon to a daytime Vapourer and it flew off before I could photo it.

Although they emerge this month they often aestivate in out-buildings, tunnels, caves, etc., reappearing in September. Somewhere I have a photo of about 16 all tiled over each other in what was essentially a shed. They stayed in this position for several weeks before dispersing. Attached is a photo of a group of adults aestivating in a cave in Mallorca, from a publication by a friend.

Attachments

• Mormo maura-aestivation-in-Clot-de-Monnaber Fornalutx Mallorca.png
    Mormo maura-aestivation-in-Clot-de-Monnaber Fornalutx Mallorca.png
    161.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Although they emerge this month they often aestivate in out-buildings, tunnels, caves, etc., reappearing in September. Somewhere I have a photo of about 16 all tiled over each other in what was essentially a shed. They stayed in this position for several weeks before dispersing. Attached is a photo of a group of adults aestivating in a cave in Mallorca, from a publication by a friend.

No attachment Martin.

I get them in Notts too, they look like Bats flying they're so big!

A

Martin

Very pleased that a proper entomologist came along! I was struggling to know what to suggest.

Thinking about it - I have bumped into a number of Old Lady moths away from light. Probably the three highlights were chasing one around a restaurant in Bristol to try and release it to the amusement of my work colleagues and bemusement of fellow diners, one roosting at our favourite café on our patch and being shown a picture of one by my wife's friend as it had landed on my wife in Clevedon High Street. My delight in identifying the picture as one showing an Old Lady put me in the dog house for a week!

All the best

Thanks all for positive replies. I earmarked this one last year as a moth I'd really like to see, and it's only gone further up in my estimation with this current info.

Graham

Wow. I want one of those too! Whereabouts in NW Durham, Michael? I'm in nearby Washington Tyne and Wear and wonder if they might be in my area. Any tips on how to find them in the daytime, Paul? Since a) I don't have a trap up here and b) the link suggests they don't come to light all that often. I have had success recently with daytime Treble-bar and Shaded Broad-bar, (both new for me) but I got too close too soon to a daytime Vapourer and it flew off before I could photo it.

Found it in my garage near Shotley Bridge Consett Co. Durham caught and released it outside wife intimadated by it lol.

Here's my story, sad but true...

I was hanging around the Souter Point Lighthouse moth trap, Tyne and Wear, at 0530 three mornings ago, waiting for the local expert to arrive at 6 and open the trap. I'd got there early since a family of Pied Wagtails were regular early-morning visitors, picking the moths off the outside before the guys got there. This morning there were no sign of the Wagtails and few moths outside that were likely to be taken. Still I sat there. Suddenly a Wagtail swooped down from the roof above, holding what at first one might mistake for a medium-sized butterfly in its bill. I rushed it and forced the bird to drop the insect, and on inspection it turned out to be the attached. An Old Lady still very much alive, but with only one wing! I wonder how long it's going to haunt me til I find a whole one!

Attachments

• old lady.jpg
    old lady.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 18
You'll see a proper one soon enough.

There is a famous story about a really rare moth only being found dessicated in a spider's web. Can't remember it at the moment........

All the best

Got there in the end! My last night on the Mainland before returning to Scilly, this was on the underside of the first egg carton.

Attachments

• P1040299.jpg
    P1040299.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 8
Excellent news! (Now find us a Yank mega :king:)

Personally, I am obsessing about Blue Underwing..... Two Clifden Nonpareils trapped on my patch this autumn. Still none for me.

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back